UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: untrainable1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37587  
Subject: Nice Boots, Marine Date: 8/2/2007 11:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 84
I met my wife in the breezeway of building 4281 at 29 Palms California. For some unfathomable reason, I still remember the date -- July 20, 1987. She was standoffish -- you didn't see her with all the other Marines, joking and cutting up. She looked SHARP in her razor creased cammies and spitshined boots. So much so, I wanted to get to know her a little better. I walked over to her and all that came out was, "Nice boots, Marine."

Thus began an oddessy that led us to getting engaged, getting unengaged, getting reengaged, getting married, being stationed apart for our first year of marriage, being stationed together at Camp LeJeune, then having our son, then being stationed on Okinawa for six years, our daughter being born, us separating from the Marines, her suffering through my few years of self-employment, her joining the National Guard, her going active duty, me joining the National Guard, then me getting deployed, our year of separation, then the struggle for our places once I returned home, then me going active duty, then her going on a fitness kick, the marathons, the triathalons, the endless training (both for her workouts and me being retrained to be a husband and a father again!) and her finally saying to me, 19 months ago today:

I want to go to OCS.

I looked into her eyes and said, "I'll do whatever it takes to help you through this. No matter what. I believe you'll make a great officer. I believe you can make it through all this. Mostly, I believe in you."

My wife graduated from OCS as a 2DLT today. On Sunday at 11am at Camp Shelby, I am pinning her with the gold bars I bought the day after she told me she wanted to go to OCS.

Sometimes, you feel something, balls to bones, that you know is real. The day she said she wanted to go, I felt it for the first time in my life.

Today, the pride I feel for her is the second.

Respectfully Submitted,

Un -- extremely proud husband of a brand new 2DLT
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement