UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: altstrat91 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35362  
Subject: Re: MBIA Bonds? Date: 1/4/2013 3:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
nice discussion here gents. i have decided to not go back in for second dibs on MBIA. in hindsight i cut the trade too early and given where i entered i surely had more room to play with but such is life in the fast lane. my personal limit on one position is 9%-10% of AUM.

i read here Charlie has been potentially dabbling and scouting in other mediums, i.e. currencies, etc. but i noticed in his most recent post looks like he is going to stick with the bonds gig.

quite awhile ago now, i had developed a system or edge with respect to currencies and commodities that was comprised of implimenting spreads which consisted of a cocktail of long/short future and/or options contracts along with in some instance underlying equity or etf type positions. but those days are long gone. even back in the day, they were too time intenstive & many times too complicated to leg in and out of. slippage can really hurt your ROR.

now there appears to be no more real time arbs to be had as those pesky "machines" would immediately find them. the only risk free real time money to be had present day is if you want to get into the business of EFPs, but the annualized rate of return will currently reflect something closer to interest rates. but still > money markets.

so to make any kind of quantifiable money, you basically need to take directional bet of some sort, where you are hedged or not is personal choice. or take a non-directional bets by sellling some kind of a premium spread formulae crunching delta or theta and/or vega, but of course nothing is without risk or predictability. think i will stick with corps.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement