UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75649  
Subject: Re: Retiring on Dental Sedation Date: 7/13/2012 11:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Nice story but nothing new. A few comments in no particular order...

...these examples are part of the argument that anesthesiologists have been making for years. The person doing the sedation should not be the person doing the procedure. You can have all the proper monitors, bells, and whistles, but if your attention is divided you're asking for trouble. Especially in kids where you might have 30-60 seconds to save the life where as in an adult you have 3-5 minutes.

...weekend courses disgust me. Sitting in a room and listening to someone talk for a few hours and then maybe doing one hands on case does not make you proficient. Currently one surgeon I work with went to a weekend course on robotic surgery. He has successfully now turned a 30 minute procedure into a 2.5 hour procedure. I doubt he will ever get proficient enough, but he can charge more and the hospital will like it because they get to charge the rental fee for the robot.

...they didn't mention the drugs or the dosage. Only said "dangerous" or "X times normal dose", no context. I sedate kids every day. They often spit out some of the medicine. So what is documented given isn't necessarily what was ingested.

...they go up in arms about "as young as 18 months". I'm sure they'd do an expose on "cruel dentist restrains children, lets them scream and cry until they pass out" if they didn't sedate.

...railing on the guy that had a kid die and is still practicing was wrong. Acting like the state board should have permanently revoked his license, WTF?!? Everyone makes mistakes. If this was the only incident and he has done "remedial" work, OK. If it happens again, another story.

...pediatric sedation/anesthesia is safe in the proper hands. Some of these characters it is obviously not safe. But you can blame insurance companies and government (via medicare/medicaid) for approving these types of office procedures because they can be done cheaper than going to the OR.

JLC
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement