UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NotMaggie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14995  
Subject: Re: Hello Date: 3/26/2001 9:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Niki,

I'm bipolar, but not currently on medication. One med I used to take for the mania was Depakote (valproic acid) which has received in the last couple of years FDA approval as a migraine preventive medication. A significant potential problem about Depakote is that it can be potentially highly toxic to the liver; I had to get blood tests about every three months to make sure I was taking the maximum possible dosage, without being too toxic for my liver. Additionally, it is contraindicated for women who may become pregnant. I did a quick search for medications that prevent migraines, and found an article at:
http://www.albany.net/~tjc/migraine-meds.html
Medications for Migraine Prevention
Note that Depakote is listed at the beginning of the article, too.

Regarding the PMS, severe physical and mental symptoms, and the depression. Is it possible you might be a good candidate for "Sarafem," the new medication I've heard about? Note that this is the same as Prozac, but a lower dosage. Sarafem is the new pharmaceutical product I've been seeing advertised on tv for "Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder," PMDD. Though I'm personally skeptical about pharmaceutical companies trying to sell more of their drugs for conditions which might not require medication, I realize though that this might be suitable for you as you are clinically depressed and have had past medications to treat it.

Maybe this Sarafem might be a suitable compromise for you? Definitely talk to your shrink about it (maybe even call up the company directly, or talk to a pharmacist, if you're comfortable in doing that) and the possible effect on libido. I am no doctor, but sometimes I've heard that similar medications at different dosages might be just enough to take the edge off of a condition, without the side effects, if the medication is mild enough. Also, here's the official company website on Sarafem:
http://www.sarafem.com/

Best wishes, Meg.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement