Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GrumpyOldGuy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21940  
Subject: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/19/2011 10:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I really have little clue about what I'm doing but maybe you can help me out. I have a Nikon D50 which may or may not be replaced (Nikon 3100) but I do want a zoom lens. Looking at the two options below I can't see enough difference to account for the $170.00 difference in price. Any ideas?
=====================================================================

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-70-300mm-4-5-5-6G-Digital-Camera...

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras $520.00
=======================================================================

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-300mm-4-5-5-6G-ED-VR/dp/B003Z...

Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR $349.00
======================================================================
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19621 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/19/2011 10:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have not used either of those two lenses. To do research on your own, you could view a collection of reviews on those two lenses.

http://www.nikonlinks.com/equipment_lenses_zoom-telephoto.ht...

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19622 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/19/2011 8:21 PM
You should check the tech specs on NikonUSA.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses...

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses...

The 55-300mm has a large zoom range (obviously), but also a smaller minimum aperture. It also has a larger diameter (67mm vs 58mm). And it is ONLY DX. The 70-300mm is compatible with FX. Either will work with your D50 (which is DX).

You can use the compare tool at nikonusa to compare them side-by-side. I also agree with the other post about checking out some reviews (e.g. dpreview).

1poorguy

Author: GrumpyOldGuy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19623 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/20/2011 10:19 AM
Thanks for the help. I think I know enough now to make a good choice. (That I will certainly regret later but that is normal for me) :(

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19624 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/20/2011 10:20 AM
If you don't mind, which lens did you pick?

Author: GrumpyOldGuy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19625 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/20/2011 11:03 AM
I haven't bought one yet because first I have to tie up my wife, then brainwash her into believing that my blowing $1600.00 on a camera I really don't need is a good idea.
Then I will probably buy the Nikon 5100 with the 70-300 lens and a speedlight to be chosen later.
I looked at Amazon and they are having a $xxx.00 off promotion if you buy a camera and qualifying lens.

The truly stupid part of this whole thing is I recently purchased a Canon Power Shot SX30 (which is a SuperZoom) with a speedlight but I have never been real happy with it. The pictures seem soft and slightly off color at the larger zoom levels.

Maybe my wife will save me from myself.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19626 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/20/2011 11:11 AM
Well, if you need to brainwash your wife, I think you should cash all your chips in and go for the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8. Why put a substandard lens on a new camera?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-70-200mm-VR-II-Digital/dp/B002JC...

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19627 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/20/2011 11:45 AM
FYI...the D5100:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/

(Since you haven't told us anything (that I've seen) about your uses/goals, I can't/won't comment on your choice. Looks like a good camera.)

1poorguy (spent a LOT more than $1600 on his outfit, and doesn't even have a speedlight)

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19628 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/20/2011 11:47 AM
I have the older 80-200mm f/2.8...she's a beaut'...wonderful lens...

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19629 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/20/2011 11:54 AM
I have the older 80-200mm f/2.8...she's a beaut'...wonderful lens...

I do recall that. There were four versions of the AF lens. I have the first generation push/pull one. Which one do you have?

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19630 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/20/2011 12:16 PM
80-200m f/2.8 IF ED AF/S (I'm pretty sure it's the AF/S). I bought it about 10 years ago. Maybe 12 years.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkore...

Author: dunegod00 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19634 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/20/2011 3:30 PM
maybe I can talk my wife into letting me get a speedlite so that I can take better pictures of the baby.....

Author: MooreFoto Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19635 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/21/2011 10:10 PM
Grumppy... Don't skimp on the glass. I would 2nd a choice of an older 80-200/2.8. IMPO still outshines newer slower glass.

There are actually 3 versions of the 80-200 f/2.8

- push-pull (no tripod mount. 3rd party available)
- AF/AFD 2 ring (recommened)
- AFS 2 ring (recommened)

HTH...

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19636 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/22/2011 12:08 AM
There are actually 3 versions of the 80-200 f/2.8

- push-pull (no tripod mount. 3rd party available)
- AF/AFD 2 ring (recommened)
- AFS 2 ring (recommened)

There are a total 4 versions of an AF lens. There were two versions of the push/pull lens.

Author: MooreFoto Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19637 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/22/2011 2:28 AM
There were two versions of the push/pull lens.

~~~

It's still a P/P. I always saw it as one and the same. Still no pod mount.

I was happy to find an AFS copy.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19638 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/22/2011 10:03 AM
Is there nothing that isn't in wikipedia??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F_80-200mm_lens

I have the AF-S. Love it. Will never part with it. It is what guarantees I will always be a Nikon guy because whatever camera I may get must be compatible with it.

Heavy beast, though...

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19640 of 21940
Subject: Re: Nikon zoom lens question Date: 9/22/2011 12:44 PM
Recommendations: 1
I have the AF-S. Love it. Will never part with it. It is what guarantees I will always be a Nikon guy because whatever camera I may get must be compatible with it.

If I had an unlimited pot of money, I'd probably swap it out for the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII.

PSU

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement