UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jjaaxx Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: No 401k at work, need other options Date: 10/22/2000 1:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am a 31 year old making over 100,000 a year. My company does not have a 401k. I have no write offs and I need some investment ideas. An IRA only allows you to contribute 2,000 a year, which is not enough and my ROTH IRA has an income eligibility cap. What are some other ideas.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: slinkyfool Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25643 of 76237
Subject: Re: No 401k at work, need other options Date: 10/22/2000 1:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
buy a house if you don't have one...

Author: ElSupremo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25644 of 76237
Subject: Re: No 401k at work, need other options Date: 10/22/2000 2:11 PM
Greetings jjaaxx,
My company does not have a 401k. I have no write offs and I need some investment ideas. An IRA only allows you to contribute 2,000 a year, which is not enough and my ROTH IRA has an income eligibility cap. What are some other ideas.

Perhaps a nice tax efficient index fund would work? See the link below, question #6 should interest you.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13403173

Of course all your indexing questions are welcome on the index funds board.

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=13538660&bid=100111

ES

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25662 of 76237
Subject: Re: No 401k at work, need other options Date: 10/23/2000 1:25 PM
I could give you the donate to me response, but I wont.

Max out your 401k, take a Roth IRA, take one for your spouse if s/he does not work and this applies, as mentioned, tax efficient funds help, real estate.

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25666 of 76237
Subject: Re: No 401k at work, need other options Date: 10/23/2000 2:53 PM

Long term buy and hold, of a stock paying little
or no dividends. This has advantage even over IRAs
that you are not limited as to how long you can hold, and your heirs get a full step up to value as of the date of your death. Retirement accounts can be a means of postponing taxes; with long term buy and hold, the original income is taxed but there may never be any capital gains tax, and if there is, it can be at a reduced rate.
DELL, MSFT and INTC were great picks 10 years ago.
Now is more difficult but many possibilities come to mind, among them GE, CPN, ORCL.
Best wishes, Chris

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25676 of 76237
Subject: Re: No 401k at work, need other options Date: 10/23/2000 9:54 PM
1-Long term buy and hold stock.
2-Run an annual hold (plus one day) Workshop Screen and pay the taxes (20%, but you're keeping 80% of gain).
3-Or real estate (another form of long term buy and hold) but the problem is owing taxes on a non-income producing (unless you farm it or such) entity.

JLC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement