UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740207  
Subject: No books in the library - Date: 1/4/2014 10:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Texas has seen the future of the public library, and it looks a lot like an Apple Store: Rows of glossy iMacs beckon. iPads mounted on a tangerine-colored bar invite readers. And hundreds of other tablets stand ready for checkout to anyone with a borrowing card.

Even the librarians imitate Apple's dress code, wearing matching shirts and that standard-bearer of geek-chic, the hoodie. But this $2.3 million library might be most notable for what it does not have — any actual books.

That makes Bexar County's BibiloTech the nation's only bookless public library, a distinction that has attracted scores of digital bookworms, plus emissaries from as far away as Hong Kong who want to learn about the idea and possibly take it home.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/24356855/texas-library-offers-g...
Follow us: @myfoxny on Twitter | Fox5NY on Facebook

----

Within a generation, kids will be asking 'hey grandpa, what's a paper 'book'? Did they have them when you grew up?

t.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714054 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/4/2014 12:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Within a generation, kids will be asking 'hey grandpa, what's a paper 'book'? Did they have them when you grew up?

I love the library in our new town. It's clean and it doesn't smell like the homeless as it did in Brooklyn. I have nothing against the homeless but they occupied most of the chairs at the public library in Brooklyn and you had to have a nose clip in order to browse the racks.
Anyway, new library is gorgeous. People are civilized.
What a welcome change.
But, although I like a real book I wouldn't mind getting an e-book because I have a Kindle but all of the popular e-books are things you have to put "on hold". If I have to do that, I would rather put a real book on hold.
I get updates every day from Amazon regarding their e-books that are on sale. I have gotten some very good books for 99 cents to $2.99.
Just read the Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and I paid $2.99 for the e-book.
At 800 pages long, it was a cheap price to pay for a week's worth of entertainment!

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714094 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/4/2014 4:01 PM
Last time I visited the public library was to take about 600 books as a donation.

To even one up the iPad/library, so on Amazon the other day where they are now going to function as a virtual library. You can now get a membership where you can digitally check out books onto your Kindle. Didn't investigate enough to see if it was part of Amazon Prime. Might be worth it since I buy digital books now.

JLC

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714100 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/4/2014 4:36 PM
You can now get a membership where you can digitally check out books onto your Kindle. Didn't investigate enough to see if it was part of Amazon Prime.

You don't even need a Kindle. As a Prime member, you can check them out or purchase them (when necessary) and put them on your laptop. I do that because then I can make the print larger on my laptop.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714109 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/4/2014 4:56 PM
Recommendations: 2
"Last time I visited the public library was to take about 600 books as a donation." - JLC

LOL! That is hysterical. My wife and her brother (BIL) are both pack rats, collectors, that have all sorts of "stuff" that they have collected over the years. BIL has two children, a daughter that is now a senior in high school and a 20 year old son (gay)who both live at home with their mother.

So sometimes I like to tease my nephew that all that stuff will be their inheritance one day and then I'll say to him, "I hope you know how to use Ebay!" while I'm grinning! He smiles because he also knows it's true.

Another friend at Church, that is a Plumber, likes to collect expensive pocket knives. Like $50 Case knives and Camillus and knives of that caliber. He's got hundreds of them. So he also has two sons and his older son is a Sophmore in College right now and I've joked with him too telling him that those pocket knives are his inheritance. They will end up on Ebay one day.

All the stuff that means so much to us - one day it will be divided and one day will belong to somebody else. We are more like caretakers than owners. Everything is temporary.

Art

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714127 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/4/2014 6:53 PM
Another friend at Church, that is a Plumber, likes to collect expensive pocket knives.
------------------

I am going to have to designate who to give my dulcimers to. Nobody in my family will know what to do with them. Recorders, too. There's always LD. <g> DH likes her. I have 2 grandsons that might like some of this stuff, but early days yet. The older one is doing piano and clarinet and wants to work his way up to sax. I understand that. you never know.

arrete

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714155 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/4/2014 11:22 PM
"I am going to have to designate who to give my dulcimers to. Nobody in my family will know what to do with them. Recorders, too. There's always LD. <g> DH likes her. I have 2 grandsons that might like some of this stuff, but early days yet. The older one is doing piano and clarinet and wants to work his way up to sax. I understand that. you never know." - arrete
---------------

Early on when I was young my vocation was meat cutting but after I started working with animals I turned my meat cutting skills into an avocation. I did it for myself and friends. So I have a lot of really nice knives, meat saws, meat grinders, slicers, etc. I've also got some fairly expensive kitchen knives, and a few expensive pocket knives.

I sometimes wonder who would want and take care of all that stuff after I'm gone? Nobody in my family is really in to it like I am. I suspicion after I'm gone all that stuff will either be sold or scattered to the wind.

Art

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714163 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/5/2014 12:03 AM
But, although I like a real book I wouldn't mind getting an e-book because I have a Kindle but all of the popular e-books are things you have to put "on hold". If I have to do that, I would rather put a real book on hold.

If your Kindle is a full Android tablet, check out the Moon+ reader app. It's one of the few, other than the Kindle app itself, that can read Amazon's .mobi format for ebooks.

The reason I suggest it is that as far as *organizing* a library is concerned, IMHO Kindle (the reader app, not the hardware) is tied for worst... along with Nook and a few others. Whereas I place Moon+ among the best few.

Moon+ will also read .epub format ebooks. That's the format practically everyone except Amazon uses, and Kindle won't read it.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714179 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/5/2014 10:31 AM
"I sometimes wonder who would want and take care of all that stuff after I'm gone? Nobody in my family is really in to it like I am. I suspicion after I'm gone all that stuff will either be sold or scattered to the wind.

Art "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is likely one or more circles of hell which involve having
to pack and move your prior belongings - up a long and winding stairway.

Howie52
laurel and Hardy piano movers.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714235 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/5/2014 7:40 PM
Recorders, too. There's always LD. <g> DH likes her. I have 2 grandsons that might like some of this stuff, but early days yet. The older one is doing piano and clarinet and wants to work his way up to sax. I understand that. you never know.

arrete

>>>>>
indeed, I'll take them, you have some mighty fine ones too....
tell the boy, he needs to start with a recorder before he can move on up to other wind instruments. He can learn a lot about breath control, and timing.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714237 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/5/2014 7:42 PM
I just talked to the daughter of a friend of mine who lost her husband last yr. She complained about all the junk he collected, well her daughter told me, well, she loves to collect stuff too. :)

Author: PK227 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714275 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/6/2014 1:42 AM
I probably have that many books I'd like to get rid of....do libraries actually accept real books any more? I really hate to pitch them.....attended Catholic schools...still can't write in a book or bend a page. Interesting what sticks with you....forever....

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714297 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/6/2014 9:51 AM
do libraries actually accept real books any more?
---------------

Be careful about libraries. It came out that the local libraries were pitching perfectly good books without even allowing them to be sold at the book sales. There was a huge uproar, and they aren't doing it any more. Kind of weird about the uproar. I remember phantomdiver (what happened to her) telling us about this in 2001.

Turns out the dumping of books was more complicated that I realized. Don't you love ridiculous regulations?
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/09/library-services/books-...

If you find a library that does sales, that's a good way to go. Ours has one twice a year, and the first people in line are the ones that sell books on Amazon and eBay. Having said that, they don't want old, out of date text books, almanacs, - stuff like that.

Or you could pick your favorite seller on Amazon and ask if they would take the books for free if they paid the shipping. As you say, I hate to have them tossed out.

arrete

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714303 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/6/2014 10:09 AM
"If you find a library that does sales, that's a good way to go. Ours has one twice a year, and the first people in line are the ones that sell books on Amazon and eBay. Having said that, they don't want old, out of date text books, almanacs, - stuff like that. Or you could pick your favorite seller on Amazon and ask if they would take the books for free if they paid the shipping. As you say, I hate to have them tossed out." - arrete

--------------------

McKay's used bookstore in Nashville actually buys back for cash used books and most little mom and pop used bookstores give trade credit for used books. Outside Mckay's used bookstore they have a "free bin" where you can put books that Mckay's didn't want because they were too beat up or old or about stuff that no one cares about any more like computer books.

We have a little used bookstore here in Town called Grumpy's book peddler and he gives trade credit and the last time I was in there I took a box of books that my wife's sister gave me and I ended up not having to pay anything for the books I picked out in there.

My point being that used bookstores usually give trade credit for used books and it works out to around 2 for 1 in trade credit. It's a great deal!

Art

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714334 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/6/2014 12:20 PM
Twelve Ways to Get Rid of Old Books
http://www.thriftyfun.com/Getting-Rid-of-Your-Old-Books.html...

Old magazines are another story. Here's an organization that sends magazines all over the world for literacy, but you are required to pay the postage to get the magazines to them.

http://magazineliteracy.wordpress.com/programs/magazine-harv...

Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714336 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/6/2014 12:28 PM
When I finally got my books into the shelves DH built for me and cataloged them all, I discovered I had about 2 large boxes of books that were duplicates. They got sent to the basement until I decided what to do with them.

This year, DD gave them away as Christmas presents to all her friends. I think they each got 3 books. ;-)

Still has a few extras lying around - and I bought a kindle this year when they ran a big sale - haven't used it yet, and I'm still not completely convinced I'm going to love it, but I think it will be handy when I'm sitting in the vet waiting room, or traveling and want to read. I've also been doing a few Audible books lately for things like business books and Game of Thrones was fun to listen to! (I've only read the 1st book, so no spoilers!!)

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714339 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/6/2014 12:34 PM
How to get free--or nearly free-ebooks.

http://bookworm-tips.tumblr.com/post/59028030874/the-one-web...

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714388 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/6/2014 6:02 PM
When I finally got my books into the shelves DH built for me and cataloged them all, I discovered I had about 2 large boxes of books that were duplicates. They got sent to the basement until I decided what to do with them.

Did you find out why you shouldn't do large boxes of books?

(More, smaller boxes are better.)

This year, DD gave them away as Christmas presents to all her friends. I think they each got 3 books. ;-)

Smart kid.

and I bought a kindle this year when they ran a big sale - haven't used it yet, and I'm still not completely convinced I'm going to love it, but I think it will be handy when I'm sitting in the vet waiting room, or traveling and want to read

DW wasn't at all sure she'd like her Nook Color - she's mildly technophobic, for years she worried about doing something wrong on her computer and cutting off power to the entire east coast which would have been a really good trick considering we lived in Seattle - but she sort of accepted the necessity because we are bibliophiles living in a motorhome. And now she loves it. She has over 500 books on it.

By the way, for organizing a library, or getting books from anywhere other than B&N, the Nook software sucks. The Kindle software is no better.

If you are able to install software from the Google Play Store, the ebook readers I favor are:
* Moon+ (if you have a library of .mobi format books, e.g. from Amazon)
* Mantano (otherwise)

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714406 of 740207
Subject: Re: No books in the library - Date: 1/6/2014 7:19 PM
How to get free--or nearly free-ebooks.

DW does a search on B&N and then says to sort by price, which puts the free books at one end of the list.

I have these sites in Mantano (name: short site link for humans - electronic catalog link for ebook readers that let you add book feeds)

Feedbooks: www.feedbooks.com - www.feedbooks.com/catalog.atom
Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/texts - http://bookserver.archive.org/catalog/
arXiv (scientific papers): http://arxiv.org - http://arXiv-opds.heroku.com/catalog.atom
Gutenberg Project: http://gutenberg.org - http://m.gutenberg.org/ebooks/?format=opds
OPDS Metacatalog: http://opdshome.appspot.com/ - http://opdshome.appspot.com/index.jsp
Smashwords: smashwords.com - www.smashwords.com/atom

Several of these sites have nothing but free books; others have some (or lots of) free books but also sell books.

As far as I've been able to find neither Amazon nor B&N is smart enough to make their catalog available in an open-standard format so people who don't like their specific software can get stuff using other ebook readers. But I have to qualify that somewhat, as I don't use Amazon's proprietary ebook format so I didn't put much effort into that side of things.

You can of course use unrelated software, such as a web browser, to download books. Then the question is how to get your ebook reader to acknowledge it. Most such programs are good at this, a few are so-so or worse (looking at you Nook) but so far I haven't found one that flat refuses.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement