UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1952  
Subject: Re: Controversy Date: 2/26/2002 3:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
No, but I heard it was a good episode, full of controversy. What happened?

Well, IMHO, it was an excellent episode and it really did the subject matter justice.

It opened up with a white boy and a black boy, best friends, calling each other the N word in a friendly manner, similar to how "brother" is used. Then another black guy took offense at the white boy using it, even in a friendly tone, and the first black boy and the offended black boy ended up in a fist fight. Then the white teacher walked in on it, got the story of what happened, and then wanted to discuss it. He told all the students to go by his office that afternoon, when he'd have a copy of the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0375421726/qid=1014754056/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-6648353-2005756

for them to read.

They all ended up reading it, liking it, and wanting to discuss the issue. Of course what's her name got all in a huff and wanted him fired. The principal gave the teacher an ultimatum and told him to stop the discussion or he'd be fired. At the prompting of his students, the teacher continued anyway. But the students (about 50/50 black vs. white) signed a petition for him to stay.

The principal's position is that discussion of the "N" word is not entirely inappropriate, but he clearly felt that a white man had no place leading that discussion. So the show ended with him "substituting" for a day to lead the discussion himself.

Very thought provoking, and i'm now interested in reading the book. I doubt i'm alone. I'm sure Kennedy is thanking the writers about now as sales of his book have probably already begun to skyrocket : )
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement