UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (379) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: thornir Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308517  
Subject: Re: HERE IT IS - MY MAJOR CC DEBT !!! Date: 2/22/2007 12:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
No cable is just basic we need cable to have tv otherwise no reception.

I know others have hammered the cable bill, but if you feel you must have TV and you cannot get reception with an antenna, take a look at the specifics of your cable bill ($133 sounds to me like a Comcast internet/phone/digital cable TV with HBO and Starz bundle to me, they offered me that package at that exact price recently).

Using my own situation as an example, both my wife and I need high speed internet access for work. We were paying $100/month for TV and internet. We decided to drop from Standard cable to Basic cable. This means we get channels 2-22 only - the broadcast stations and some local access channels for $12/month instead of $50/month for a bunch of stations rarely watched. We decided we will listed to Red Sox games on the radio this season and the one show on cable we watch regularly, my parents record each week anyway, I just asked them to pass us the tape.

We could drop the cable TV altogether, but the savings would be minimal since we get a discount on the internet for having cable TV, which still applies even with only Basic cable.

And for phone, if you don't feel comfortable not having a land line (I have not been able to get myself to drop it) call the phone company and get a plan with either flat rate (Verizon $20 in my area) with includes free local calls or measured rate calling (Verzion $13 in my area) where each outgoing call costs on a per minute basis, but if you always use your cell to call out, it won't cost anything extra. Drop call waiting, caller ID etc.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (379) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement