UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FoolishWarthog Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35383  
Subject: Re: I and EE Bond rates Date: 2/4/2002 9:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
No downside to EE bonds.

I-bonds are a fixed rate plus inflation (or deflation). In theory (though I think it is rare historically), the economy could 'deflate'. Meaning the Consumer Price Index rate of inflation (which is what the I-bond is based on) becomes negative. For example, you have an I-bond with 3% base and the CPII at the time of purchase is 2%. So you effectively have an interest rate of 5%. Then in May, when the CPII is re-evaluated, it turns out to -1.5%. Now your I-Bond has an interest rate of 1.5%. It is possible to sit on an I-bond that is returning 0% for six months while an EE Bond is sitting at 4%. I Bonds are guaranteed to never go below 0, but it is possible to approach 0. EE bonds are a fixed rate...for the length of the bond.

Another advantage of EE bonds is that they can be converted to HH bonds. "Series HH bonds are current-income securities. This means that -- unlike the EE bond -- the HH bond itself doesn't increase in value. When an HH bond is issued, you pay the face amount ($500, $1,000, $5,000, or $10,000) for the bond and interest is paid each six months, providing you with “current income.” The interest payments on HH bonds are made by direct deposit to your checking or savings account at a financial institution. "

Basically, I-bonds are designed to protect your principle from being eaten away by inflation. EE-bonds are a long term, 'safe' saving vehicle, which can be turned in to income as HH bonds down the road.

I get both. Mainly because I have a credit card that pays 1% 'cash back' in the form of EE bonds. You're only allowed $500/year (actually $250 because EE bonds are sold at half of face value), but I figure it's an easy way to save. It will be our 'blow off money' in retirement :)

Learn more at:

http://www.savingsbonds.gov

-Warthog

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement