UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (45) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76079  
Subject: Re: Community Question Date: 9/25/2013 11:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 20
no further employment checks coming...
2. The total of their current savings, and any remaining non-employment income expected, is no more than, and no less than, the approximate estimation of their living expenses (including elderly costs) projected out to their natural dirt nap date.

By "current savings" I assume you mean "liquid assets".

This speaks about assets ("savings"), but says nothing about how they are deccumulating, that is, how the assets are being draw down and converted to income.
Without that information, it's not possible to answer the question. Heck, it's not even possible to *pose* an answerable question.

Assets are assets and income is income. Assets != income. The question is meaningless as posed.

Question #1:
How much of their funds is it suitable for them to park in an unhedged S&P buy & hold strategy?

Short answer: Asked and answered.

Objection: The wording of the question is an attempt to smuggle in an assumption to import a specific answer.
This is a standard question asked in a completely non-standard form.

The standard wording goes something: "What is a suitable asset allocation -- what percent in stocks and the rest in bonds (or other stable-value asset class)?"

If a Financial Advisor who posed the question as above, rather than in the asset allocation form, that would be evidence that he is incompetent and ignorant of the field.
The proper response a retired person should make to this would be, "Thank you for your time, but I am looking for a FA who knows something about investing. If I wanted advise from an ignoramus, I'd ask my brother-in-law."

For one thing, the question is an oxymoron. By definition, a portfolio that is partly in S&P and partly in bonds is NOT unhedged. Unhedged means 100% in S&P, so you are asking "how much is suitable to have in the S&P, of the amount that is invested in the S&P?"

Short answer, answered again: 60% of the portfolio.

Long answer:
There are entire websites devoted the the discussion of that issue -- methods & techniques for converting an asset base to a stream of income.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/ and specifically this board: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/

This question could not reasonably be asked by anyone who isn't completely ignorant of the field. The classic paper was published in 1994, "DETERMINING WITHDRAWAL RATES USING HISTORICAL DATA" by William P. Bengen, which expands on papers & books by William Bernstein. This has to be one of the most well-known and most cited papers in the field.

To even (non-rhetorically) ask the question reveals lack of pertinent knowledge.

Dave, you know all this, right? Someone who presents themself as a "Leverage Planner" could not possible not know all this. Right????? So how come you are asking this question in this form?

Question #2:
How much additional funds, beyond their projected natural living expenses, would they need to have in order to put all of the original amount into such a position?

I have no idea what this means. I do not understand the question. Is this trying to ask about the terminal value at the end of their life expectancy?

"funds" and "expenses" are two different things. A "fund" is a lump of assets. "Expenses" are periodic expenditures of cash.
A fund is not spent all at once. It is tapped a little bit at a time for paying expenses. The remaining money in the fund grows (earns interest, etc.) until it it exhausted.

======================
I don't mean to be harsh, but really??!!??

This question is so basic that it cannot even be asked seriously. And if someone honestly did not know, then 10 seconds with google would come up with hundreds of thousands of hits.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (45) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement