Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
No, I don't see him selling either. He's brought the company too far, and they are on the verge of mass production, though at a modest level #'s wise.
My thinking is that Apple could partner with Tesla as a minority investor and shareholder, but with serious $ that could accelerate greatly Tesla's infrastructure development and production, thus leaving the potential competition even further in the dust. They could move up considerably the time when Tesla, with Apple as a partner, could DOMINATE a 3 trillion dollar industry (that's the predicted $#). Musk ain't getting any younger, and he doesn't seem to be greedy for money, so he might see some advantage in partnering. Does Apple want Google to swoop in as a Tesla partner? They got money in the bank, too.

I just learned today a bit more about Tesla's self driving technology development and it sounds like they are very close to their goal of a "mind off" level of autonomy by the end of this year. Originally, I thought that Apple might make a significant contribution in this department, but now I'm not sure.

So, what is Apple going to do with their own project?
I suppose that they can offer software and even hardware (sensors, chips, etc.) in this new and competitive space for adoption by the legacy auto companies as they slowly ramp up their auto driving line of vehicles, but I don't see any advantage that Apple would have over Google, Amazon or Microsoft. Apple could even make their own vehicles in the long run, but again, what is their advantage, other than the Apple ecosystem as it may exist in ten or twenty years?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement