Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have 2 UTMA custodial accounts for my 13 & 16 year olds. In 2001 neither had earned income and their investments lost money (-$2,500 & -$3,000). I filed one extension on their taxes, but never got aroung to filing their returns and still have not. In 2002, the '01 loss carry forward offsets all of their '02 gains. The 16 y/o had $1,500 of earned income in '02, which the stock losses offset.


1) Do I need to file returns when they had no reportable income?
2) If I do need to file their '01 returns, how do I handle the fact that I never filed the required extension forms and am now 1 year late? What will the penalty be? Their investment income that year was negative.
3) Lastly, can I file the 13 year old's losses on my return to offset my capital gains?

Thanks for your feedback!

Kevin Smith
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.