Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
No, it goes on line 10 of 1040 whether it was allocated dfferently last year or not, unless it didn't end up as an actual deduction last year.

I've always thought line 10 was only for income taxes. I'd put the personal part of this on line 21 and the rental portion on Schedule E.

I agree with Phil. Line 10 is for income tax recoveries only. Line 21 is for other itemized deduction recoveries. Recoveries of amounts that were not itemized deductions need to be included in AGI, so using Sch. E for the rental portion makes as much sense as anything.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.