UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734570  
Subject: Re: Kill Me Now Date: 11/16/2012 7:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
No, it was a matter of one culture [Anglos] not accepting the other culture [Indian].

Not only not accepting but worked to eradicate their culture by not allowing them to speak their language or practice their religious beliefs. I met the grand chief Matthew Coon Come this August in Montreal.

HIs story:http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/views/story.html?id=9b0c...

I was taken away from my parents at a young age to attend La Tuque Indian Residential School, situated in central Quebec, approximately 300 hundred miles away from my home community of Mistissini, Quebec.

I was at the IRS for 10 of the most vulnerable years of my life.

The residential school I attended was officially opened by then minister of Indian affairs, the Honourable Jean Chrétien, and was operated by the Anglican Church.

The federal government wanted to take the Indian out of me. It did not succeed. I know that I know who I am. I am eeyou, a human being, son of a great hunter, and member of the Cree Nation.

The federal government wanted to assimilate me into the Canadian body politic. It did not succeed. I love my country, my land and my people.

The federal government wanted our peoples to disappear, because of our title to our lands and resources. It did not succeed. Our peoples are still here to assert our rights. We are still in the way. We are not going away.

Church officials slapped me for speaking my language and wanted me to lose my language and traditional ways. They did not succeed. I speak my mother tongue fluently and I and my family are Cree.

They told me that my culture, and my people's ways of life would never sustain me. They lied. I am a son of a hunter, fisherman, and a trapper. My father taught me how to walk the land, and to love and respect the animals and all of creation. I have not lost my culture. Our way of life is thriving.

They tried to force their religion on me. I hate religion. I hate the traditions. Religion kills. But I have found peace, love, and faith in a personal relationship with Christ.

I choose to forgive those who took me away from my parents, my grandparents, my community and our traditional lands and resources.

I choose to forgive Mr. Chrétien for opening and allowing the residential schools to operate.

I choose to forgive the church officials who tried to kill my language and my culture, and who wanted me to be ashamed of who and what I am.

I choose to forgive those who physically and sexually abused me.

It is time for me to move on. And to continue being Cree, in defiance of everything the federal government intended for me and my people. And to continue asserting our peoples' human rights to self-determination, to our cultures and to our resources and lands.

His journey was similar to US Native Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_boarding_school...

In 1926, the Department of Interior (DOI) commissioned the Brookings Institution to conduct a survey of the overall conditions of the American Indians and to assess federal programs and policies. The Meriam Report, officially titled The Problem of Indian Administration, was submitted February 21, 1928 to the Secretary of the Interior Hubert Work. Related to education of Native American children, it recommended:
abolition of "The Uniform Course of Study", which taught only European-American cultural values;
education of younger children at community schools near home, while providing for older children to be able to attend non-reservation schools for higher grade work; and
provision by the Indian Service (now Bureau of Indian Affairs) to Native Americans of the education and skills to adapt both in their own communities and United States society.
Despite the Meriam Report, attendance in Indian boarding schools generally grew throughout the first half of the 20th century and doubled in the 1960s.[10] Enrollment reached its highest point in the 1970s. In 1973, 60,000 American Indian children are estimated to have been enrolled in an Indian boarding school.[10][11] The rise of pan-Indian activism, tribal nations' continuing complaints about the schools, and studies in the late 1960s and mid-1970s (such as the Kennedy Report and the National Study of American Indian Education) led to passage of the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act of 1975. This emphasized decentralization of students from boarding schools to community schools. As a result, many large Indian boarding schools closed in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Native American boarding schools in the United States were seen as the means for the government to achieve assimilation of American Indians, which it believed was the best way for them to live in the changing society. By having the children in boarding schools, they could be educated together in majority culture. The boarding schools separated American Indians from non-Indian students.

A similar system in Canada was known as the Canadian Indian residential school system.

So those we did not kill physically; we attempted to kill their culture & make Euro centric white red people. Not much to be proud of here. And it occurred during our life time.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement