UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66263  
Subject: No Lion at AP store? Date: 10/8/2012 10:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Lion no longer shows up in the AP store. Mountain Lion appears to be the only option for up-graders from previous OSX versions. Is this the case?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61071 of 66263
Subject: Re: No Lion at AP store? Date: 10/9/2012 1:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Lion no longer shows up in the AP store. Mountain Lion appears to be the only option for up-graders from previous OSX versions. Is this the case?

I called up AppleCare about a month ago about this. They said they can provide a link to it, but that it couldn't be found by searching. I found it a bit strange, but normally they didn't sell old versions of their OS when in physical form, so it makes sense.

I didn't end up buying it, but you should be able to get it by calling them up, or possibly talking to someone at an Apple store.

Aaron

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61072 of 66263
Subject: Re: No Lion at AP store? Date: 10/9/2012 9:49 AM
Recommendations: 1
Aaron could you tell us who/how you called Apple?

While I have Applecare and undoubtedly start that way, I suspect most folks who need Lion might have hardware that will not run Mountain Lion -- and that hardware would be beyond Applecare.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61073 of 66263
Subject: Re: No Lion at AP store? Date: 10/9/2012 12:48 PM
On page 11 of the November MacWorld a reader notes that People running 2006 Mac equipment can run lion but not Mountain lion. Apparently they would have no way to reinstall Lion if they needed to.

I also wonder, "What if the restoral partition is corrupted?"

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61075 of 66263
Subject: Re: No Lion at AP store? Date: 10/9/2012 2:09 PM
That's kind of odd. If someone is on Snow Leopard, don't they have to get Lion in order to get Mountain Lion? Or can they go straight to ML?

dsbrady

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61077 of 66263
Subject: Re: No Lion at AP store? Date: 10/9/2012 2:28 PM
It is possible to go directly from SL to ML. The only "gotcha" is you must upgrade SL to get both MAS and some other item required to download/install ML.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61078 of 66263
Subject: Re: No Lion at AP store? Date: 10/9/2012 2:34 PM
It is possible to go directly from SL to ML.

Thanks. For some reason, I thought Lion was required to upgrade to Mountain Lion. Maybe it was just the App Store was required.

dsbrady

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61079 of 66263
Subject: Re: No Lion at AP store? Date: 10/9/2012 3:28 PM
I made an install disk of Lion. I hope it works, because at some point I am putting my old 2006 MacPro up for sale and I need to reinstall the OS when I wipe the hard drive.

Birgit

Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61080 of 66263
Subject: Re: No Lion at AP store? Date: 10/9/2012 4:43 PM
Aaron could you tell us who/how you called Apple?

After searching around the app store and I think the support site, I selected online to have AppleCare call me. It had me put in the serial number of my machine, which is not still under Applecare, and so then I selected something about buying the OS so that it would be a free call.

The guy that I talked to said he had heard there was a way, but didn't know it off the top of his head. It think he then talked to someone, and said again that there was a way. It's been a month now...but he thought if I called someone in purchasing or something.....

Sorry, I don't remember the details, and can't find the e-mail I asked him to send me about it. But try calling Applecare, and they should be able to let you know if there is a way.

It would be nice if Apple made available the old OS's, either to people buying the newer one, or even for free like they did long long ago with OS 7 and 7.1 I believe. There's also a little too much blocking going on, as I was trying to buy Mountain Lion when I was bringing up my newer iMac that supported it, but only had my other 2 macs running that apparently are cut off from Mountain Lion. So, I was going to be installing onto a HD that would go into a machine that supported it, but wasn't able to buy it.

As such, now a month later, I'm still running Snow Leopard on the newer iMac. But just haven't yet.

Aaron

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61081 of 66263
Subject: Re: No Lion at AP store? Date: 10/9/2012 8:31 PM
With the exception of certain features that SL users are blocked from, many still prefer SL to Lion or ML. I know a local store that resisted it for awhile, quite awhile.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement