UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: eblsaac Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: No load vs. load Date: 7/10/2000 12:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Why would I ever invest in a load fund?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23235 of 76237
Subject: Re: No load vs. load Date: 7/10/2000 2:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
There are a few cases for this from my view:

1) Your way of investing relies on an advisor and you don't want an hourly fee. I know that I'm not like this, but I could picture people that do NOT want to do their homework on investing(Just like some people have nannies, mechanics and other experts to do most of the work) and so they PAY someone else to do it. What is wrong in that?

2) There are no good no-load fund substitutes. For example, Fidelity's Select funds come in many different flavours that for some strategies these are precisely what is needed(Of course you can shift money from Select to Select without paying that 3% front-end charge that some people call a load).

I think those are the 2 cases from my view.

JB

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23236 of 76237
Subject: Re: No load vs. load Date: 7/10/2000 2:33 PM
If you could go back to the Peter Lynch days at Magellan, you shouldn't begrudge Fidelity their 3%.
When there is a truly outstanding manager, he may be worth a load.
But families like American Express, the fund families sponsored by the large brokers like Merrill, Prudential and the like, Van Kampen, and so on give mediocre performance with a load. You can do better.
Paul Wick's Seligman fund has at times been an outstanding performer, but now there are others without a load that do as well.
It is wrong to say you would NEVER pay a load, but before doing so you should have a hard look at what else is available.
Best wishes, Chris

Author: blgriffin One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23241 of 76237
Subject: Re: No load vs. load Date: 7/10/2000 5:50 PM
I have made a fortune with Fidelity Selects and I never paid a load becase I funded these selects within my 401K rollover account at Fidelity. In 1996 I exchanged funds to each of the Selects related with computers, electronics, telecomminications, etc. The technology Selects have performed well above my expectations since 1996. In fact my taxable long term savings/emergency account is Fidelity's Select Electronics. In 1996 I invested 2,500 and paid the 3% load. Never investing any additional funds my balance is now five figures. So I don't mind paying a load if my return is 30% annualized.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement