Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: VikingErik Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: No-longer-annual FIRE update Date: 5/16/2013 1:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
Hey, it's my Fool balloon day, when I used to go through FIRE updates here. The previous was here, five years ago:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26654833

I guess I haven't posted about FIRE lately because it hasn't been on my mind, pretty much running on autopilot. I haven't had any need to budget for several years. I've made out really well on income as a software developer, changing jobs once and then getting a different offer that induced a counteroffer, which all together bumped me up by $30k in total compensation. And since my spending hasn't gone up, that's all going right into savings, nearly 50k per year now. (Okay, I splurged on an iPad.)

I'd prefer to be circumspect about precise numbers, but my total investments are now 4x my gross salary and over 10 years worth of expenses. It's a pretty good feeling knowing that I could walk away from work for 10+ years if I so chose. It's all in a Coffeehouse type portfolio of assorted mutual fund sectors, no individual stocks. I make $500 a month from dividends alone now, even without any principal gains.

I do still rent an apartment (discussed in my last thread above) and have never regretted that choice. I'd prefer to keep my life simple rather than taking on the work and expenses of owning. Real estate can result in highly leveraged gains ("Rich Dad"), but it can also stay as flat as anything else, and the market bottom is long past.

Still targeting $1M by age 40, and I'll get there if this stock market rally keeps rolling. Or on the other hand, "Sell in May and walk away" looks really tempting right now. But yet again, the economic fundamentals still look solid, the earnings are actually there to back up the Dow being at 15,000 unlike all the previous times. Eh, what do I care, leave the funds on autopilot, if there's a dip there'll be another rise before I do retire.

- Erik
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement