UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AOLFoolman100 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7824  
Subject: No one cares about Hurricane?? Date: 10/27/2012 12:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I live in Texas but lived in NYC for 2 years, and I'm worried about you guys?? No one cares to post?? What are you doing to prepare??
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7747 of 7824
Subject: Re: No one cares about Hurricane?? Date: 10/27/2012 12:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What's there to post at this point?!

There's the dramatic prediction. But I'm hoping/praying that the storm's path will change, and it will veer eastward and pass by us offshore.

For preparing, it's a repeat of what we did for Irene a tad over a year ago. Make sure storm drains are clear. Batten down anything that the wind could pick up. Make sure we have batteries and candles, and whatever food basics we're very low on.

sheila

Author: Earble Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7748 of 7824
Subject: Re: No one cares about Hurricane?? Date: 10/27/2012 8:46 AM
Recommendations: 1
If it's any consolation, AOLFoolman100, the governor has already declared a state of emergency. :-)

Actually, here in Binghamton there are a lot of nervous people, because of the potential rainfall. After three floods in seven years - two of them 100-year floods - people get jittery when they hear forecasts of nine inches of rain.

Earble
going to bring in the porch swing today

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7749 of 7824
Subject: Re: No one cares about Hurricane?? Date: 10/27/2012 10:23 AM
Well good luck to all of you. I guess you can take consolation in the fact that it's only a Cat 1. Here in Texas we get slammed by Cat 3,4 and 5's. Cat 1 is still dangerous, esp with the wind tunnel effects around the skyscrapers in Manhattan.

Man, the TV people are really building this up bigtime. I think the main issue will be power outages for extended periods of time.

Take care !!

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7750 of 7824
Subject: Re: No one cares about Hurricane?? Date: 10/27/2012 11:21 AM
But I'm hoping/praying that the storm's path will change, and it will veer eastward and pass by us offshore.

So am I but as of this morning, none of the weather models seemed to show that as a possibility any longer.

Make sure we have batteries and candles, and whatever food basics we're very low on.

My two personal concerns are electricity and water. I have flashlights, batteries and candles. And I will fill up the bathtub with water. (Also have plenty of bottled water on hand to drink.)

The winds will do some damage. My co-op has an emergency prep plan and we put that into effect on Thursday evening. (Starts with making sure the storm drains are all clear and removing stuff from the roof garden.)

I'll also make sure all the blinds are down and the drapes closed.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

Christina

Author: aurelutra2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7751 of 7824
Subject: Re: No one cares about Hurricane?? Date: 10/27/2012 12:07 PM
After a "500 year flood" in this area last year a lot of people in our valley are scared. Only about 1/3 of the people affected last August and September have been able to get back into their homes. Many are living in 1/2 a home. These people have been advised to evacuate ahead of this storm.

We were (barely) uphill from the damage. We've been planning for expected power outage.

Last year the power was out for nearly a week, so we "camped out" at home. The day I got angry about the power outage was the day we got a computer phone call from the power company telling us that we could/should "go online ... to check when we could expect the power to be restored."

A/L

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement