UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pspercy One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 736250  
Subject: No RE for These Guys ... Date: 7/30/2000 9:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
This was in today's Dallas paper :

http://www.adn.com/business/story/0,2641,179732,00.html

Definitely the polar opposite to LBYM !

Keep in the cool,

p
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14233 of 736250
Subject: Re: No RE for These Guys ... Date: 7/30/2000 10:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
$461,000 in credit card debt - Yes, read the article over coffee this morning, and totally amazed how anyone could build up a mountain (an Everest size mountain at that ) of debt!......When their minimum credit card payments exceeded their total income, the end was near - oh well......and this went on for 20years -

As Scott Burns (www.scottburns.com) notes, it is NET WORTH that counts. You can be earning a million, spending 1.3 million, have humongous debt, and be in the poor house with no savings and a net worth of minus ten million. Many athletes easily fall into this trap when they suddenly find themselves with 10 million dollar contracts, and no financical experience to handle the sudden wealth. It often disappears as fast as it came. Many people think of them as 'millionaires'...they are foolish millionaires. (and not the Motley fool types, either)

As to the spending habits of 'millionaires' (defined as people with a NET worth of more than a million), the book, The Millionaire Next Door, is great reading - go borrow a copy from the library and read it. Millionaires don't drive fancy sports cars, or have a stable of them. They don't buy $1000 shoes, or go on $10,000 shopping sprees.

In fact, many of the folks on this board hope to be millionaires, so they can retire and take 4-5% withdrawals and live comfortably. I'm sure not many of us drive a Ford Expedition, top end Lexus, BMW, etc. Your $35,000 car(BMW, Lexus, Expedition, Suburban, Infiniti, Jag, Corvette, etc) at age 25 is going to cost to the better part of a half million by the time you are 65....if you had bought a$$17,000 car instead.

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14268 of 736250
Subject: Re: No RE for These Guys ... Date: 7/31/2000 12:58 PM
Recommendations: 0
telegraph wrote:
In fact, many of the folks on this board hope to be millionaires, so they can retire and take 4-5% withdrawals and live comfortably. I'm sure not many of us drive a Ford Expedition, top end Lexus, BMW, etc. Your $35,000 car(BMW, Lexus, Expedition, Suburban, Infiniti, Jag, Corvette, etc) at age 25 is going to cost to the better part of a half million by the time
you are 65....if you had bought a$$17,000 car instead.

I drive a 1986 Chevy Nova. My wife drives a 1990 Safari minivan (we have 4 kids).

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16045 of 736250
Subject: Re: No RE for These Guys ... Date: 8/22/2000 10:21 AM
Recommendations: 0
It just boggles me that people bringing home $6,000 a month could have debt like that. What kind of home did they buy? What kind of furnishings? I'm amazed!!

Love
Loving

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement