Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: buznitz One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: No Reduced LTCG Tax Rate Date: 11/28/2001 8:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Here is a quirk in the rules about benefitting from LTCG reduced tax rates. Did a preliminary preparation of 2001 taxes. With 7K LTCG included with pension and other income my social security income is taxable (at about 65% of the SS amount). If I add another 4K in LTCG 85% of SS is taxed. The total tax increase comes to about 25% of the 4K LTCG (if added this year). Also this is my year for medical deductions so the increase of 4K reduces that deduction (by about $75). If I wait until next year to take LTCG the differential in taxes will be 10 or 15% of LTCG (no itemization and 85% of SS will be taxable because of increase in other income). So much for LTCG tax benefit for the little guy on limited pensions and SS income.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jtr56 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7544 of 19257
Subject: Re: No Reduced LTCG Tax Rate Date: 11/28/2001 8:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
buznitz writes:

So much for LTCG tax benefit for the little guy on limited pensions and SS income.

Isn't this really special. I'm in the same boat. Though I hate to take a loss for tax purposes (after all, that dog just might come back some day!), this could be the time(?)

Flat tax, anyone??

Regards,
jtr

Author: saml72933 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7545 of 19257
Subject: Re: No Reduced LTCG Tax Rate Date: 11/28/2001 9:00 PM
Recommendations: 2
<Flat tax, anyone??>

National sales tax, anyone??

No flat tax, round tax, square tax or income tax!!

Sam

Author: lpuzzle One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7551 of 19257
Subject: Re: No Reduced LTCG Tax Rate Date: 11/29/2001 10:49 AM
<Flat tax, anyone??>

National sales tax, anyone??

No flat tax, round tax, square tax or income tax!!

Sam

I disagree - for those of us saving money in taxable accounts, we've already paid taxes on the money once. If we had a national sales tax, we'd wind up being taxed on the same money again when we purchase things after retirement. A flat income tax would be preferable to a national sales tax for us.

Author: saml72933 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7554 of 19257
Subject: Re: No Reduced LTCG Tax Rate Date: 11/29/2001 11:16 AM
<A flat income tax would be preferable to a national sales tax>

Tell me, how do you apply a flat income tax to a self-employed, small business owner. Would he have no deductions for business expenses?

Probably wind up being as complicated as the morass we now have, if that's possible.

Sam

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement