UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726733  
Subject: No side ads, Great!!! Date: 1/31/2002 2:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I can't believe how much bigger my pitiful 15 inch monitor feels without those bloody side ads. Computer seems much faster too. Maybe I can put off replacing my computer for just a little bit longer now, as TMF is the site on which I spend the majority of my on-line time.

Thank You TMF!!!!

InParadise,
who no longer seems to need to scroll left and right to see the whole post.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: coalbearer Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61125 of 726733
Subject: Re: No side ads, Great!!! Date: 1/31/2002 3:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does that mean you've signed up or got a free'un? I still have the ads.

Alex.

Author: twocbock Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61126 of 726733
Subject: Re: No side ads, Great!!! Date: 1/31/2002 3:29 PM
Does that mean you've signed up or got a free'un? I still have the ads.

I haven't signed up, and the only ad that I see is the one for the Motley Fool itself on the right-hand side of the screen. The rest are now gone.

twocbock

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61127 of 726733
Subject: Re: No side ads, Great!!! Date: 1/31/2002 3:53 PM
Not that it matters, but I got a free one. From what I've been told, those who paid got their ads removed yesterday.

InParadise

Author: dantes One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61161 of 726733
Subject: Re: No side ads, Great!!! Date: 1/31/2002 9:25 PM
Norton Internet Security, which came with my new PC, lets you drag ads into the "Ad Trashcan", and you'll never see it again. Most web pages are now ad-free.

-Dantes

Author: sydsydsyd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61187 of 726733
Subject: Re: No side ads, Great!!! Date: 1/31/2002 11:47 PM
Recommendations: 5
Norton Internet Security, which came with my new PC, lets you drag ads into the "Ad Trashcan", and you'll never see it again. Most web pages are now ad-free.

Caveat: this post applies only to Microsoft Windows.

If you don't have Norton Internet Security and don't want to pay for it, have a look at AdShield (see "http://www.adshield.org/"), which is a freeware plug-in for Internet Explorer that lets you suppress ads based on their URL. It adds a right-click menu option -- you simply right-click on an ad, and choose "add to block list."

Better yet, you can choose only the root of the URL to block all ads coming from that source. This works nicely because most sites considerately pull all their ads from neatly identified addresses such as "http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad", so putting that in the block list means you'll never see another ad from that source, even the ones they haven't dreamed up yet. It does a nice job suppressing images and animated garbage, including the impossibly annoying "screen rotating" ads at the New York Times.

AdShield doesn't do much for pop-ups, though. For these, I use another free utility called "Pop-Up Stopper" (which is at "http://www.popupstopper.net/product_dpps.html"). This one silently suppresses most pop-ups, but allows you to control- or shift-click to override (sometimes there are legitimate pop-up windows that you want to access). There are some pop-ups that manage to get past this one, too, but I haven't found a solution yet. Still, I don't see many ads, so I'm pretty satisfied, especially since it didn't cost me anything.

sydsydsyd

Not affiliated with any entity that produced the above-described software.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61203 of 726733
Subject: Re: No side ads, Great!!! Date: 2/1/2002 8:10 AM

-Dantes

Thanks for the tip. Perhaps when I finally break down and buy a new PC I'll have that option too. Right now my 6 year old 120 processor with 1.2gigs hard drive and 16 megs ram is a little tight on memory. If we add a new software, we need to delete something else first.

We came real close to buying one of the TV advertised Dells with some enhancements til I found out that we would have to get it from their Latin America division, even though we are part of the US. Checking the offering from the LA division to that of the mainland, we found that they were dumping their older software and poorer resolution monitors down here.

That kind of cheezed me off.

InParadise,
Who will probably now get one of her geek brothers to order something for her from computergeek.com.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement