Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dangalgano1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: No Social Security Number Date: 1/8/2002 9:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I had a baby in December 2001 an have not received my child's social security number. I have a large refund coming back and would like to file as soon as posible.

Can I put "Applied For" in social security # box or do I need to wait for the number to be issued?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56941 of 121219
Subject: Re: No Social Security Number Date: 1/8/2002 11:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Can I put "Applied For" in social security # box or do I need to wait for the number to be issued?

Congratulations. Sorry, but you have to wait for the SSN. While you're waiting, why not revise your withholding so you're not contemplating such a large refund in the future?

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: acm4tax Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56946 of 121219
Subject: Re: No Social Security Number Date: 1/8/2002 11:33 PM
You might be able to walk into a local Social Security office and get the social security number off their system. At the very least you can find out if the folks at the hospital have even submitted the request.
If not, be prepared with a copy of the baby's birth certificate. You'll need Form SS-5 available at any Social Security Office.

Author: noratr One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56955 of 121219
Subject: Re: No Social Security Number Date: 1/9/2002 1:20 AM
If you just can't seem to wait, you could file your return without the baby's dependancy and get a partial refund (I imagine you'd still have a good partial refund since you said it was large). After you get your baby's SS#, you can file an amended return to add your dependant - with your reason being that you did not have the SS# at the time you filed your return. At which time, you'd receive the rest of your money.

Don't know your reason for wanting the money now, but if you can wait for the SS#, that would be advisable as they may take longer with amended returns.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement