No. of Recommendations: 0
no wierdness or laziness here. Contributions to an IRA must be made in cash... IRS regs. Most reasonable alternative is to sell the stock (presumably at a gain) pay taxes on the gain and contribute that money to an IRA. You will pay taxes and commissions that could have been avoided if the cash had been contributed to an IRA in the first place, but it is not the end of the world. Just think of the extra expense as tuition at the school of street smarts.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.