UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Answer Team Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77291  
Subject: Re: Any tax break on IRA loss? Date: 2/18/2000 12:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
No, you cannot claim tax deductions for loss on investments in your IRA. Your profits and losses are tax deferred until retirement. If at age 59-1/2 you still had losses when you took distributions: ie total account balance was less than your aftertax contributions, deductibility of losses becomes an interesting question. But you would have to badly mismanage your account for that to happen.

Jumping ship when you have a weak performing fund is always a difficult question. You would hate to bail out just before it recovers. Still if it has under performed the indexes in say two of the last three years I would jump. Any fund can have a bad year, but if it seems to be a trend, do not hesitate to move.

Decide for yourself, but best of luck to you.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Kiddie Card Board
Should kids have their own credit card?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Wealth of Power
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.