Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121599  
Subject: Re: Tax handling of gifts under the annual exemp Date: 3/25/2014 10:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
No, you still don't understand things. The price for the transfer is the average of the high and low on the date the transfer occurs, not an instantaneous price. It is this average price which becomes your cost basis and determines if you have taken your full RMD.

What you say may conform to the tax law. But it is not what Ameritrade had done. I transferred some money from my IRA to either my checking account and some shares to my margin account. I took the average price of the stock for the transfer day and subtracted it from the amount I still had to take out of the IRA to satisfy the RMD. I then sent the rest to my checking account. Now if I look at Ameritrade's web page, it says I still must take out $51 from the IRA to satisfy my RMD, and I did not make a mistake. And in the past, Ameritrade has been quite clear that I cannot convert anything from my IRA into my Roth-IRA until I have taken out the full RMD. This may not be federal law or IRS regulation, but Ameritrade enforces it.

Additionally, I'm not aware of any broker that will restrict traditional->Roth conversions because an RMD hasn't been taken.

Last year (during 2013) Ameritrade would not let me make the conversion to Roth until I had taken out the full RMD.

It is your responsibility to make sure that you comply with the tax laws and the broker's responsibility to report what has transpired within the account(s).

I agree. But Ameritrade seems to enforce a stricter policy to ensure that I convert nothing until after I take out their idea of what the full RMD is.

If you convert too much and don't distribute enough to make your RMD, you will find out when you prepare your tax return or when the IRS sends you a penalty notice.

I can think of many reasons why someone would want to do a Roth conversion early in the year, yet defer their RMD to the end of the year.

As can I. But Ameritrade would not let me do it in 2013.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement