Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am wretchedly confused.
Someone please help.

I am the non-custodial parent to my son who is 17 months old. He lives with mom, though we share joint legal custody.

I pay monthly child support and the only other expenses i have for him (besides toys and clothes) are his prescribed othorpedic shoes and related material.

His mom has informed me that she will claim him as a dependent this year.

Do i have a right to make a mention of the child support payments in preparing my taxes?

Do i have the right to claim him next year?

How do i know if i provide more than 50% of his income?? This 50% thing is so ambiguous...I need definition here !

Please help me out -- JOBoriken@aol.com

Much thanks to whomever can help....
Print the post Back To Top
If both you and your ex-wife provide over half the support of your son and your ex-wife has custody of your son for more than half the year, then she can take the child's dependency exemption.

If your son lives with your ex-wife again this year, you can claim the dependency exemption if your ex-wife signs an agreement that she will not claim the exemption.

Thanks for being a good father and paying your child support on time, but you can't deduct it for tax purposes. Good luck.
shortamzn: "If both you and your ex-wife provide over half the support of your son, . . ."

How can two different people each provide more than half of the support of one child? It seems to me that this is logically impossible.

Curiously, JAFO

"if both you and your ex-wife provide over half the support of your son"

How can two different people each provide more than half the support of one child--Curiously JAFO

Well tain't Hemingway I guess--but if the parents together provide over half the support of the child, the custodial parent gets the deduction, unless the he/she waives it through Form 8332 or similar agreement.
Advertisement