Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
How can I recharactarized a "non-deductible" contribution that I made in 1998 to a traditional IRA? My accountant did not note on Form 8606 that this was a non-deductible contribution.

Unfortunately, at that time I did not fully understand that the Roth IRA would have been the better move.

Do I need to complete a new Form 8606 for "1998" and send it separately from my 1999 returns? If not, how should I handle this?

Thanks for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.