Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hershop One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41511  
Subject: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/12/2012 7:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm looking for a high quality fish oil capsule.

I believe in the health benefits of fish oil but I am VERY susceptible to burping up flavors after I eat....onion, garlic, so I have been nervous to take a fish oil capsule for fear of burping up a fishy taste.

Any recommendations for a non fishy tasting fish oil pill/tablet?

TIA,
hershop

cross posted on the Alternative Medicine board......
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38097 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/12/2012 10:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
(I'll post my answer here as well, in case it proves helpful.)

Absolutely.

Look at the Minami fish oils. The one I use is CardiO-3, which is particularly high on the EPA and has some good omega-6s and some omega-9's included.

Minami extracts the omega-3s etc using CO2 instead of chemicals (typical is hexane), so there is zero chemical residue in the finished product that can be upsetting to some. Perhaps that's why all other fish oils bother my stomach to one degree or another. There is NO fishy taste. And the final product is also much more concentrated, so you get a nice big dose in a much smaller soft-gel.

In terms of effectiveness, I know several people who have found this fish oil to help arthritic joints, where their previous fish oil did nothing.

It does come at a price, but you can find it discounted on sites like iherb.com. And because the dose is substantial, you need only 1/day. And the bottle gives you a 2-month supply.

sheila

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38098 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/13/2012 8:33 AM
Recommendations: 1
I take Minami Cardi0-3 on Sheila's recommendation and can vouch for its efficacy. My eyes tend to crack at the outside corners--Cardi0-3 clears it up when previous brands of fish oil did not.

ASIDE
In creating a new budget for when my husband retires this month, I scrutinized everything carefully, including supplement expenditures. I'm giving up my only prescription--Nasonex, a corticosteroid nasal spray for allergies that works really well to give me a nice airway/clear sinuses for sleep, rather than the Cardi0-3. (Not giving up the Nasonex just for financial reasons--it turns out that steroids, even as nasal sprays, have a possible side-effect of cataracts. I'm only 63 and just had cataract surgery--bummer!) I'd cut back on a lot of things before I'd stop paying for Cardi0-3.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38099 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/13/2012 8:54 AM
I'm only 63 and just had cataract surgery--bummer!)

No not bummer. My husband had cataract surgery last year (same age) and it's made such a difference. He's embarrassed that he waited so long. Once you're fully healed, you'll be amazed at how garish the world is.

When discussing his resistance to surgery with his ophthlmologist (a colleague) per his opinion that he thought he was too young for cataract surgery, he was greeted with the response that, no......he's actually quite old and perfectly grown up enough to have his cataracts done.

Author: hershop One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38100 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/13/2012 11:28 AM
Perfect, just what I was looking for. Price doesn't matter too much to me, just want high quality.

Sheila...do you have a referral code you would like me to use for the iHerb.com site? I am ordering now...!

thx,
hershop

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38102 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/14/2012 4:30 PM
How bout Krill oil?
Not as pricey as the one sheila recommends.

Bryan

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38104 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/14/2012 7:21 PM
How bout Krill oil?
Not as pricey as the one sheila recommends.

The last I looked--and it's been a while now, I admit--you had to take an awful lot of the krill oil supplements to equal the dose of EPA eta you get in the supplement I take.

sheila

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38105 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/14/2012 7:47 PM
The last I looked--and it's been a while now, I admit--you had to take an awful lot of the krill oil supplements to equal the dose of EPA eta you get in the supplement I take.

Maybe it is sort of like magnesium. Different forms are absorbed more easily by the body. Magnesium oxide has very low absorption rates.

From the megared faq:
"MegaRed® Omega-3 Krill Oil contains omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA. Research has shown that DHA and EPA may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.† Unlike fish oil, the omega-3 fatty acids in MegaRed® Omega-3 Krill Oil are mainly absorbed and carried to the body’s cells in phospholipid form. Phospholipids are very important for cellular functioning because they form the structural basis of cell membranes. MegaRed® phospholipids closely resemble the phospholipids of human cells, therefore MegaRed® phospholipids with omega-3 fatty acids are easily recognized, incorporated and utilized by the body. Fish oil omega-3 fatty acids are carried by triglycerides and have less efficient cell uptake. With MegaRed® Omega-3 Krill Oil, you only need to take one small, easy-to-swallow softgel per day."

Bryan

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38106 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/14/2012 11:02 PM
Unlike fish oil, the omega-3 fatty acids in MegaRed® Omega-3 Krill Oil are mainly absorbed and carried to the body’s cells in phospholipid form. Phospholipids are very important for cellular functioning because....

It's not the difference between krill oil and fish oil. It's the difference between low-heat supercritical extraction methods and high-heat chemical extraction methods. Krill oil and fish oil start out the same. High heat damages the molecule's phospholipid bonds, whether it's a krill oil molecule or a fish oil molecule. Some krill oils use a supercritical extraction method, and MegaRed is one that does. Many use the conventional high-heat extraction approach.

Minami fish oils are also processed supercritically, so the phospholipid bonds are just as well preserved as they are in MegaRed, and thus they function equally well. (New Chapter also uses a supercritical method, but I prefer the Minami dose and composition.)

BUT......when you compare dosage, MegaRed is actually far more costly than my Minami CardiO-3. 1 MegaRed softgel contains only 300mg of omega-3s, which include 45mg/EPA and 27mg/DHA. Walgreens sells a bottle of 60 for $30. 1 Minami CardiO-3 softgel contains 900mg of omega-3s, which include 635mg/EPA and 194/DHA. Plus there are some good omega-6s and omega-9s. iHerb sells the bottle of 60--which carries you for 2 months--for $32.

So.....although the MegaRed bottle says you need only 1/day, you actually need 3/day to get Minami's 900mg of omega-3s. That'll run you around $90 for a 2-month supply. But to get Minami's 635mg/EPA, you need 14 MegaRed softgels a day. To get the equivalent of Minami's DHA, that's 7 MegaReds a day.

I'll stick with my Minami!

sheila

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38107 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/15/2012 5:53 AM
Higher isn't always better shiela.
Bryan

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38109 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/15/2012 3:15 PM
Higher isn't always better shiela.
Bryan

I figured you might say that, as it's often true. But often not. In this case, certainly for the anti-inflammatory effects and the triglyceride-lowering effects, more is better.

sheila

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38110 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/15/2012 3:20 PM
Does anyone know the optimal dose of fish oil? I doubt it, and if they say they do it is just their opinion with nothing to really back them up.

In this case, certainly for the anti-inflammatory effects and the triglyceride-lowering effects, more is better.

Let's see, my trig were 22 last time is that low enough by just using the lowly less expensive mega-reds?

Bryan

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38111 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/15/2012 8:33 PM
Interesting find about krill oil from Dr. Eades blog:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/inflammation/why-krill-oi...

"Krill oil contains vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin D and canthaxanthin, which is, like astaxanthin, a potent anti-oxidant. The anti-oxidant potency of krill oil is such that when compared to fish oil in tems of ORAC (Oxygen radical absorptance capacity) values it was found to be 48 times more potent than fish oil."

"A number of studies have shown that krill oil is tremendously effective in reducing LDL-cholesterol, raising HDL-cholesterol, and lowering blood sugar. It has been shown to be effective in treating the pain and inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis and aches and pains in general. One large study showed that krill oil has tremendous benefits in terms of symptom reduction in PMS and dysmenorrhea. And it has been shown to be effective in the treatment of adult ADHD. In all these studies krill oil was tested against fish oil and not simply a placebo."

So Sheila krill oil may in fact be better than cardi0-3.

Bryan

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38114 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/16/2012 7:40 PM
Let's see, my trig were 22 last time is that low enough by just using the lowly less expensive mega-reds?

Who said the mega-reds are lowly? And they are not less expensive, only that you're getting less, so you're paying less.

If adding the mega-reds was the ONLY change you made, and then your triglycerides lowered to 22 after refusing to budge before--then it's a good bet your mega-reds were responsible. And if it works for you, that is fine. I wasn't putting down your krill oil. I was simply explaining that what you called an advantage of krill oil in general, and said is missing in fish oil, has nothing to do with krill vs fish, but with supercritical/low heat processing vs chemical/high heat processing. And both mega-red and Minami fall into the good category because they are both supercritically processed. I also pointed out that your assertion that mega-red is a bargain because it costs less but does more wasn't accurate -- on the basis you used for that claim.

sheila

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38115 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/16/2012 7:52 PM
Recommendations: 1
Interesting find about krill oil from Dr. Eades blog:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/inflammation/why-krill-oi......

What I found most interesting was a comment that I could not find substantiated in the literature -- though in searching for it, I did come across very interesting information on krill oil vs fish oil. And what I conclude from that is not that "So Sheila krill oil may in fact be better than cardi0-3" -- but that it is different.

Eades asserted that krill oil way outperformed fish oil in successfully treating ADHD. So I looked at PubMed, typing in krill oil +ADHD. I got a single hit, a review article that pointed out the primary difference between krill and fish oils, ie. that krill is basically phosphatidylcholine with the EPA and DHA attached to it. Phosphatidylcholine is good stuff, so that intrigued me. And here's what was summarized from head to head trials in the literature -- with krill oil superior to fish oil for some things, but ADHD wasn't mentioned:

"Krill omega-3 phospholipids, containing mostly phosphatidylcholine (PC) with DHA/EPA attached, markedly outperformed conventional fish oil DHA/EPA triglycerides in double-blind trials for premenstrual syndrome/dysmenorrhea and for normalizing blood lipid profiles. .... Utilizing DHA and EPA together with phospholipids and membrane antioxidants to achieve a triple cell membrane synergy may further diversify their currently wide range of clinical applications."

So this suggests combining krill and fish oils. I kind of like that idea.

sheila

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38121 of 41511
Subject: Re: Non fishy fish oil capsules? Date: 12/17/2012 1:07 PM
Sheila,

thanks for searching pubmed and coming up with that info.
So it sounds like if you are taking fish oil, for blood lipid reasons, krill oil is superior.

So this suggests combining krill and fish oils. I kind of like that idea.

Good idea but not sure if mega-red krill oil combined with cardi0-3 wouldn't lead to too much of a good thing. Maybe mega-red with a lower concentration of fish oil would be a better idea?

Bryan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement