Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband is receiving dividends from stock in a 401K. The dividends are reported as non-qualified dividends for tax purposes, meaning they are not eligible for the preferential treatment many dividends get by being taxed at the capital gains rate. These dividends, like REIT dividends, are taxed at the personal rate.

When he takes his lump sum of stock at 59 1/2 and pays personal rate on the cost basis and then pops the stock into a taxable account, do the dividends from this stock revert to the nifty lower rate? One would think so, but we can't find anything written about it.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. TMFPMarti suggested that I put this out as its own thread. I know a similar question is at the end of another thread.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.