Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lorac246 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Non-resident alien a/c opening&tax Date: 1/25/2001 1:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As a non-resident alien, have been checking out the necessary forms, etc. to open an account with a broker. I realize I need to fill a W-8BEN. I checked and my country of residence (U.A.E.) doesn't have a tax treaty with the U.S., so do I need to fill a 1001 (exemption) also? Opinions seem divided on this. The Motley Fool UK site says 'yes', whereas the brokers say 'no'?! I have tried to check out the US tax guide for Aliens, Pub. 519 on the government site, but it is currently unavailable online. Does anyone know of another link that might have the necessary information?

Also, have checked out FAQ and old messages on the board, which were helpful. I made some enquiries with a couple of brokers, one of whom talked about foreign withholding tax. As I understood it this is only on dividends and interest on uninvested cash balances, but not on capital gains? Have I understood correctly?

Grateful for your feedback and any pointers to useful sources of info.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.