Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: kanyapro Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121568  
Subject: Non US -Expat in Asia, Investing in USA Date: 2/20/2012 12:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi To All,

My first post here, so I hope you can be gentle with me! Apologies if this has been asked a 100 times before. If so, please feel free to fob me off with a link to the thread accompanied by an exasperated Humpf.. why didn't he bother looking hard enough!

I am a European Expat living in Malaysia. My wife (also Non-US) and I have an active e-trade account which was opened up while we were working in the US.

We both have SSN and American bank accounts, although we have not lived in the States for nearly 3 years. we submit our W8BEN religiously every year.

No tax treaty exists between Malaysia and USA. Looking at a PWC report on the subject it states "for individuals who are resident or non-resident in Malaysia, investment income which arises from sources outside of Malaysia are exempted" Same goes for capital gains - so far so good.

So say My wife family, and I stay here for another say 10 years, and dutifully submit our WEBEN to keep Uncle Sam off our back, we will not need to pay any local Malaysian taxes.

So Here's my question(s)

Let's say that in 2022 we decide to move back to Ireland, and the 10 dollars we have invested has grown to 50 dollars.

Is it then that I would theoretically have to declare to my lovely Irish Revenue board any Capital gains on anything over the 50 dollars for that year, and every year thereafter, and that I am NOT subject to any gains made while I was living in Malaysia? My rudimentary research tells me that I'll have to pay at today's rates upwards of 30%! That's a spicy meatball, which ever way you look at it.

Many thanks to all who who have taken the time to read, and perhaps offer a newbie some advice

Steve
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement