Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2Be1000K One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121482  
Subject: NonDed IRA to Roth IRA & Old 401K to RolloverIRA Date: 12/14/2012 1:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I contributed max allowed $5000 to Non-Deductible IRA with after-tax money in Jan 2012 and then immediately converted all $5000 to Roth IRA. Non-Ded IRA had no funds prior to this. This is sort of backdoor way to contribute to Roth IRA if you are not eligible to contribute directly to a Roth IRA.

Then in Mar 2012, I rolled over my old 401K (previous employer - pretax money) to a Rollover IRA. Will this activity have any tax implications given that I did a Roth conversion earlier in Jan 2012. If yes, can I undo this 401K rollover or can I transfer rollover IRA to my current 401K plan with current employer?

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117131 of 121482
Subject: Re: NonDed IRA to Roth IRA & Old 401K to Rollove Date: 12/14/2012 2:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I contributed max allowed $5000 to Non-Deductible IRA with after-tax money in Jan 2012 and then immediately converted all $5000 to Roth IRA. Non-Ded IRA had no funds prior to this. This is sort of backdoor way to contribute to Roth IRA if you are not eligible to contribute directly to a Roth IRA.

Then in Mar 2012, I rolled over my old 401K (previous employer - pretax money) to a Rollover IRA. Will this activity have any tax implications given that I did a Roth conversion earlier in Jan 2012. If yes, can I undo this 401K rollover or can I transfer rollover IRA to my current 401K plan with current employer?

In order, yes and maybe.

When you do the calculation of the taxable/nontaxable portions of the conversion you look at 12/31/2012 traditional IRA balance. See Form 8606, part I.

Your current employer can, but is not required to, accept a rollover into your current 401(k). Before you do so, make sure you really want to do it.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement