Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay, pmarti. Maybe you can answer this one for me as well. In August 1997, I funded my traditional IRA with $2,000.00. In January 1998, I rolled that traditional IRA (with assets then only worth approx. $1,924.87) into a Roth IRA. In November 1998, I funded my Roth IRA with an additional $2,000.00. I had a tax preparer prepare my tax returns for the 1998 tax year. I gave to her my statement for my Roth IRA. In that statement, the line entitled "Rollover Deposits" for the tax year 1998 totalled $1,939.83. The line entitled "IRA contributions you wish to record as non-deductible (life-to-date) totalled $2,000.00. The tax preparer included the $1,939,83 on Form 8606 entitled "Enter the total amount of distributions from traditional IRAs during 1998 that were converted to Roth IRAs." However, she did not include the $2,000.00 that was initially put into the traditional IRA (in August 1997) as my BASIS. Should she have done so? After all, I thought I read recently that you need only pay taxes on your EARNINGS from funds which were converted from a traditional IRA to a Roth-- and not the amount you put in initially. Is this right? If so, it seems that I should not have paid taxes at all on this conversion. If that is the case, how do I get that money back from the IRS that I overpaid to them last year? I thank you in advance for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.