No. of Recommendations: 0
Nope, you wouldn't. Investing is a dynamic process. You simply can't look at your account balance on any specific day to decide whether your investment approach is a good one. Yes, putting your money in a safe in your house around the middle of March 2000 would seem to have been a good idea, but only if you look at it in terms of what the market has done over the past couple of years. Just think of the last 4 weeks. For the past 4 weeks, the safe in your house has cost you 10 to 15% at a minimum. For the 7 or so years prior to March 2000, the safe in your house would have been a dead dog loser each and every day. It's what happens over time that counts. At the lowest point, my account was down almost 50% from it's high in early 2000. It's come back almost 20% from it's low this year. In 5 or 10 years, I'll bet almost anything that I'll have 20% to 100% more than I did in March 2000, while the "keep it in the safe" folks will have the same thing they have today. You shouldn't judge an investment approach by it's low point, nor should you judge it by the high point. You judge it over time.

Okay, excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand how looking at what my parents and my spouses parents retirement accounts have done over the last 30 years is looking at one point in time.

Using just one of them as an example my parents put in almost $300,000 of principal, it grew to almost $1 million and they were told not to worry that they were "set for the rest of their lives" so they retired and are now working at Wal-Mart because they have less than $200,000 in their retirment now. What good was that $1 million number? They would have more money today if they would have put their $300,000 in a fireproof safe. Sure during one point in time, when it was at it's peak, they would have been "better off" in the market, but over their investment lifetime, which also includes the drop, they would have been better not investing in the market.

e
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement