UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18016  
Subject: Re: Homeowners insurance Date: 8/9/2009 1:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Nor am in the flood zone.

I believe you mean that you are not in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). If you are in an SFHA and getting a mortgage that is federally backed in any way, you will be required to get a Flood Insurance policy.

However, if you are not in an SFHA odds are you can still get a Flood Insurance policy - most likely a Preferred Risk Policy which is really quite cheap. I'd encourage you to strongly consider it, as the number of people in non-SFHA zones who get flooded is not trivial. Last year when there was so much flooding in Iowa, I remember reading that a fairly significant percentage of the people impacted lived in non-SFHA zones and because they hadn't gone ahead and bought the PRP policy some of them really lost out. For my own home in a non-SFHA zone in KS, a policy for approximately 200K building and 50K contents rated at about $300-$375.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Gilead Sciences CC Thoughts
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.