UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: North to Alaska! Date: 3/13/2001 1:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm in the midst of planning a trip to Alaska and wondering if any of you have any suggestions or "Must See's"...

So far my plans consist of flying to Fairbanks and then driving 200 miles on a long gravel road so I can cross the Arctic Circle...

That's 1 day...8 more to fill...

Chuck
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dirkn Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 294 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/13/2001 1:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Watch out for the trucks on that long gravel road. They are few and far between but my understanding is that they move at around 80 mph and prefer to use the center of the road...

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 295 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/13/2001 1:52 PM
dirkn said: They are few and far between but my understanding is that they move at around 80 mph and prefer to use the center of the road...

Thats good to know!

Of course, that means I can probably make pretty good time myself...

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 296 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/13/2001 5:41 PM
wondering if any of you have any suggestions or "Must See's"...

They have tours of glaciers by floatplane. Some people aren't comfortable with the idea of flying in single engine planes (especially when they can only land safely on water), but I've been on bush planes in Canada several times, no sweat.

There are cruise ship tours along the coast that make several stops to do inland tours by bus, train or floatplane. Maybe you could drive to some of these places while you're there. I've heard that flying over the Brooks Range is unbelievable. Also, the brown bears there are like grizzlies on steroids. Kodiak Island has some incredible brutes (they eat lots of salmon). I've also heard that salmon cannery tours are interesting (but kinda smelly).

1HappyFool

Author: mphela Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 297 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/13/2001 5:59 PM
<<That's 1 day...8 more to fill...>>

Chuck,

Since I have the honor of calling Fairbanks my birthplace, I would hope that I could give you a lot of tips on things to see around there. However, Anchorage is where I spent nearly all of my time growing up.

Flying to Alaska to cross the Arctic Circle - I like it, that's unique. How far do you plan on going up the highway? I know that you can get pretty far up the highway, almost up to Prudhoe Bay. I think you can tour Prudhoe Bay, and then, you might be able to dip your toes into the Arctic Ocean, another unique experience. I'm not sure, though. I myself have never done that or crossed the Arctic Circle. I'm sure you'll see a lot of wildlife along the highway, as this area is very isolated. Make sure you bring a few spare tires, though.

If you never been to Denali National Park, you should try that - it's fairly close to Fairbanks. It's a pretty spectacular place.

If you plan on being around Anchorage or the Kenai Peninsula, I can give you some ideas of things to see there. Also, what types of things are you interested in? Wildlife, hiking, biking, fishing, rafting, hanging out, getting eaten by mosquitos, etc.

I'm actually going back there this summer, so I'm trying to plan some things to do. Right now, I want to go sea kayaking on Prince William Sound. I also want to take a trip on the train. We used to take train trips in the summer when I was a kid. The railroad system is very good there and the routes go through very scenic areas. They have a website with lots of info that may give you some ideas. http://www.akrr.com

Good luck with your planning.

Ned

Author: anniepa Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 298 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/13/2001 6:03 PM
There were three threads discussing Alaskan travel on the Fools of a Feather / Retired fools board in early January. Threads begin with posts 5959, 5967, and 5983. (Sorry I don't know how to do the links.) You might find them interesting.

Annie

Author: drmelfi One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 299 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/13/2001 6:11 PM

Chuck - I made the same trek two summers ago.

A couple words about the Dalton Hwy - if you haven't heard or read already - services are extremely few and far between - the only place that served food was at the Yukon river crossing -

Otherwise - it is a great, bumpy trip - you will encounter amazing wildlife - watch out for mosquitos!

In addition to wildlife - the most amazing plantlife - you must get out and stick your hand down in the soil to feel the permafrost. When are you going? I went in July - no chance of seeing Northern lights...oh well..

Anyway - after Fairbanks - we went to Denali Park - I highly recommend a visit there.

Also went down to Seward to do some fishing. I caught several salmon. Oh and a side trip to see the glaciers off the coast of Whittier - and some pub crawling in Anchorage. I loved it all.

My only regret is not enough time to get over to Homer.

Enjoy!

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/14/2001 6:45 AM
Why Dr. Melfi! What are you doing on this board? Don't shirk your duties to Tony Soprano now...He needs Prozak, and lots of it.

-Gekko II

Author: drmelfi One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/14/2001 8:30 AM

Gekko -

You are so right. Tony is very high maintenance.

But even the good doctor needs a break now and then - and not only that - if you were watching on Sunday -

you probably know that we achieved a significant breakthrough!

drmelfi - off to find a good piece of Cappicola, while doing research her ER plan

Ciao!

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 302 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/14/2001 1:00 PM
drmelfi said: I made the same trek two summers ago.

Great!

Is there a marker? I'm going to be taking a GPS, but it would be really cool to get a picture by a marker...

So far the itinerary includes Gold Dredge #8 in Fairbanks, Denali, Kenai Fjords, Exit Glacier and the Arctic Circle trip...Not in any particular order...

Oh, and possibly some whale watching..

Anything else?

Chuck

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 303 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/14/2001 1:19 PM
Ned asked:How far do you plan on going up the highway?

If it were just me on the trip I'd go to Prudhoe Bay or maybe over to Barrow...
But some of my traveling companions are not quite as adventurous as I am...

I'm having enough trouble convincing them the roadtrip is a good idea...
They want me to go 2 days earlier and do it before they get there...

Which I just might!

Fortunately, my GF and the oldest member of our expedition, a 75 year-old ex-pharmacist, are game for the roadtrip...

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/15/2001 7:51 AM
Dr. Melfi:

Very impressed with your breakthrough - good work! Now if you can only get him to open up about the death of Big Pussy, that would be something...

-Gekko II

Author: mphela Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 309 of 381
Subject: Re: North to Alaska! Date: 3/15/2001 12:20 PM
<< Is there a marker? >>

According to this website there is...

http://wwwndo.ak.blm.gov/dalton/tour/tour3.htm

Your itinerary sounds spectacular. You should have a lot of fun and will see a lot of scenery and wildlife. You'll have a decent chance of seeing some whales on the Kenai Fjords tour.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement