No. of Recommendations: 1
Not even half the population cast votes last year.

You are right, I shouldn't have quoted "250 million." I should have said "3 million fewer people voted for Trump than voted for Hillary. Several million fewer people voted for Bernie than voted for Hillary."

Happy now?

I've already invalidated that argument

No, you've stated your preference and ignored actual data. That's not the same thing.

She won by 3M votes. So the "more liberal" was more popular. Yet that goes against what you're saying about being "more left" being a losing proposition with people.

Bernie was "more left" and lost even among Democrats. How is that a winning strategy with moderates? It's one thing to be left of center. It's another to be far-left of center and get creamed. The fact that Republicans have managed to get some far-right of center candidates in (I don't count Trump, he's just stupid and insane, he has no core positions) doesn't mean the left can do it. The Right has more potent weapons: a gullible base, Right Wing talk radio, and Fox News, not to mention the so-called "liberal media", most of which is in small town radio and TV stations and newspapers dominated by conservatives. All things equal you are not going to win with an "even more liberal candidate." Of course all things were not equal this go round. The Right rose up to punish the black guy, to refuse to admit (or allow) his successes, and they chose celebrity over competence. It happens.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement