UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66248  
Subject: Not getting texts Date: 10/15/2012 12:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have iPhone 4S. Recently updated to iOS6. Since then, I'm only getting text messages from a couple of people. Many others I'm not recieving them at all.

Any idea what gives?

JLC
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61129 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/15/2012 2:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Any chance you have AT&T as your cellphone company and the people who you are getting messages from also have iPhones?

I ask because we have told AT&T to turn off all text messages (they cost $0.20 each to send and receive), but for reasons I do not understand the Apple iOS Messages App is very happy as sending and receiving text messages - but that only works through iOS devices.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61134 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/15/2012 4:10 PM
Recommendations: 4
for reasons I do not understand the Apple iOS Messages App is very happy as sending and receiving text messages

Messages checks to see if the recipient has a Messages compatible device (either an iOS device or a Mac running Mountain Lion). If the recipient does have a compatible device, the text message is sent via iCloud, bypassing the telephone carrier completely.

For users who have both: Look at the background color of incoming texts. If the background color is blue, the message was routed via iCloud. If the message is green, it went through your cell carrier.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61141 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/15/2012 5:14 PM
Any chance you have AT&T as your cellphone company...

AT&T is my carrier

... and the people who you are getting messages from also have iPhones?

I'm getting texts from my wife, she has iPhone 4S, and we're on a data share, unlimited voice/text plan together. I've gotten a text from one other person who has an iPhone.

I'm not getting texts from one of my co-workers who has an iPhone but isn't using iMessage (for what ever reason). And not getting texts from another co-worker who I don't think even has a smart phone.

Everything was fine till the update.

JLC

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61142 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/15/2012 5:53 PM
Recommendations: 1
JLC based on what you say, I am betting the issue is with AT&T. They have have accidentally turned off texting on your phone. The turn off/on is specific for each phone number, but an accident might have happened for the account.

That said - all this turn on and turn off stuff is a software setting. There are multiple parts to the system. It is possible for the "What are Tom's settings?" part to say Texting is On, but some other part of the system has you turned off. A call to AT&T (611 on your iPhone) is in order.

If you do not have luck initially on the phone, I would go to an AT&T store. One thing to ask for is called Provisioning or maybe Re-provisioning of your phone. That is essentially setting up everything. That should force the system to turn everything to what ever settings you are supposed to have. It would be more drastic, but getting an new phone number would be another way.

The 611 Support people are very good at many things, but when you have system glitch like this, the persistence of a store person and the training they get can work wonders.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61144 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/15/2012 7:56 PM
For users who have both: Look at the background color of incoming texts. If the background color is blue, the message was routed via iCloud. If the message is green, it went through your cell carrier.

something new with iOS 6?

my incoming are all white; out-going are blue or green

(Blue for folks i know have iPhone, green for i don't know)

Author: Kentopia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61145 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/15/2012 8:06 PM

Green is sent via SMS (standard text message).

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61149 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/15/2012 9:08 PM

I had something strange happen over the weekend - I received a "spam" text message to my iPod Touch and my iPad. It must have been sent to my email address, not to my phone number, since it only came to iMessage and not to my cell phone (which is not an iPhone - it's a cheap prepaid cell). I think it was green although I'm not sure.

I've never used iMessage before so I'm not sure how I got on the spam text list - although the email address I use for Apple is the less secure one I use for ordering items online. If spam texts are going to be sent to iMessage at the rate they go to email, than it's going to seriously clog up the system.

Karen

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61150 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/15/2012 10:16 PM
===========

i was puzzled because Steven said the colors were for incoming texts and i'm only seeing color on out-going.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61155 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/16/2012 5:02 AM
my incoming are all white; out-going are blue or green

I got incoming & outgoing switched.

It's blue for recipients using an iOS device (and, I presume, for mountain lion users, since ML has the Messages app).

Author: BBDok Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61157 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/16/2012 8:45 AM
It's what Steven said. This is an ATT software issue and you need to call them to get it fixed. Same thing happened to my wife and I when we switched plans a month ago to MobileShare. And the problem needs to be fixed on all of the phones on your plan. Fixing the problem on one phone will not fix all of the phones.
BBDok

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61160 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/16/2012 12:20 PM
Here is what I've learned so far. I want to drop an anvil on my head.

Called ATT, go down the list, mainly involving shared iTunes account (no). Asked several questions which I can't really recall now. But they said its an Apple problem probably dealing with iOS6.

Talk to Apple. As long as someone is using iMessage, I get the texts is what we can decipher. Tried turning several things on and off, none resolved the issue.

So now I'm stuck with restoring my phone. We will see. Don't have time for it right now. Maybe later today or in the week.

JLC

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61169 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/17/2012 10:25 AM
There are two levels or types of Restore. One is less work and trouble than you have already had. The other is a lot of work.

Restore to Factory Condition wipes everything off and you get nothing from backups -- it would be like your current iPhone was replaced with say a BlackBerry or some other cell phone that could not import any data, except from your PC.

The Restore from Backup mostly takes time with the iPhone doing its thing. I have done this 5 or 6 times with and iPhone 4 and once with an iPhone 5. (I never got a 4S). The iPhone 5 is a fast CPU. The only issue here is you must re-enter your Wi-Fi password.

This is the kind of thing you can start when you get ready to cook dinner and it will be done before the dishes. When it gets started you do need to agree to some legal crap and enter your AppleID/Password. Otherwise it is all automatic.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61181 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/19/2012 9:18 AM
Just to follow up for those interested.

Talked on the phone with AT&T. They checked something in their data base, restart the phone, send reboot signal, sent SMS message. They called back. Things seemed to be fine. I tried texting some friends, the didn't recieve message whether it was SMS or iMessage.

Restored iPhone. Went for setup like it was new. Now I can't send or receive texts, period.

I guess I'm on my way to an AT&T store.

By the way, is it possible to restore without getting the iOS6 update. I didn't see where that was an option.

JLC

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61182 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/19/2012 11:09 AM
is it possible to restore without getting the iOS6 update. I didn't see where that was an option.

I do not think you can downgrade an iOS operating system. For sure the only way to do will be a restore to Factory condition.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61186 of 66248
Subject: Re: Not getting texts Date: 10/19/2012 4:24 PM
Recommendations: 1
OK, the final solution for those curious. Its an AT&T thing.

Went to the AT&T store and they put in a new SIM card. Things appear to be working fine. Who knows why or what.

Now I have to take DW's phone in too. Since they sent a reactivation signal yesterday, she can't text either.

I guess my most fatal mistake was making to big changes near the same time. Update iOS6 and changed our data plan to a shared data plan.

JLC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement