UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 401kinvestor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/12/2012 7:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was in a serious car accident on Tuesday I was not at fault. The other party was cited by the police. I have a broken stenum which will taken 8 weeks to heal. I have black and blue bruses from the airbag depoying on me. I still owe $353 to Sunwestfcu. I still owe $53 to chase. I still owe $454 to Amex for get work on the car. I have $2000 in my HSA account to pay the hospital . I had to get airvac from Sun City to Phoenix. I have 2 hospital bills coming and air vac flight bill. My car is at the Nissan dealer to get estimate if getting fixed by the other party's car insurance. I talked to their insurance they said they needed to get an estimate on the nissan, medical bills.

I lived because I wore my seatbelt the officer said.

Not sure weather to take secure loans against my cds .
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305550 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/12/2012 8:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
401kinvestor --

Jeepers! That's terrifying. I'm really, really glad that you're alive and that your airbag and seatbelt did their job. You must ache from head to toe, and I am so sorry for that.

With your mental illness and your difficulties thinking through financial decisions, I think the best thing you can possibly do is to get some professional help deciding how to handle this situation. If there is someone you know who has demonstrated over 20 years or more that they can handle money well (see below for my thoughts on that), please ask for their help. This is bound to be a difficult time and is not a time to try to handle everything alone.

Handles money well:
- Has held a steady job for more than 20 years
- Has saved for that entire time
- Has no debt other than a mortgage
- Is prepared to retire because he/she has maxed out their retirement savings
- Is prepared to support kids going into college
- Has been through a major insurance-related incident such as a car accident, home disaster, or major medical emergency and navigated the waters successfully

The above are minimum qualifications in my mind, and you would be looking for all of them in one person, not just one or two.

It would be even better if you could identify and get help from a trained professional. They cost money, of course, but it may be worthwhile.

I really wish you well and quick healing, 401k. Please let us know if there is anything that strangers on the Internet can help you with.

ThyPeace, not laughing at all. But does hope that you find humor yourself fairly soon. Laughter is excellent medicine. Watch some funny movies or TV sometime soon, ok?

Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305551 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/12/2012 9:00 PM
Recommendations: 7
I have $2000 in my HSA account to pay the hospital .
I talked to their insurance they said they needed to get an estimate on the nissan, medical bills.

If you are going to be reimbursed for the medical bills by the other insurance, you need to confirm with a tax professional if you can pull money from the HSA without paying taxes and a penalty. Please do this BEFORE you get money out from the HSA, even if the hospital/medical provider is pushing you for payment.

AJ

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305552 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/12/2012 9:05 PM
I'm definitely not laughing. That sounds like serious pain, and you have my sympathy. I hope you're treated decently by the insurance people.

Do you have any stock that isn't in your 4019K0 that you could sell, just to get you through the worst of this? When you're trying to heal you don't need financial panic on top of everything else.

Nancy

Author: determinedmom Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305553 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/12/2012 10:16 PM
Recommendations: 11
Given significant injuries and an accident at the fault of another person I would suggest that you get advice from an attorney representing your interests.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305554 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/12/2012 10:49 PM
Don't panic!!!

You are alive, and for the severity of the accident in good shape.

Did they give you anything for inflamation?

The bills will come in, and you have time to handle them. Take a week, and start to recover. Unfortunately, you are going to feel worse before you feel better.

Schedule an appointment with a lawyer.

You may need to have your insurnance repair the car, and have them reimbursed from the other insurance company.

The same my be true for your medical bills. You may need to submit them to your insurance, and have them reimbursed from the other insurance company.

Author: mhtruck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305555 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/13/2012 12:11 AM
Recommendations: 3
I'm very sorry you were in an accident. Very importantly, you are alive - and that makes it a very good day. Whatever happens going forward, dealing with insurance companies, doctors, bills, etc - it's just little stuff - because you are alive. Remember that.

If I were you, I would not take any loans out against your cds. Probably not at all, but certainly not at this point. I also would not use your HSA money to pay the hospital or buy medication. Again probably not at all, but certainly not at this point.

Talking to a laywer would probably be a very good idea. Especially, if you are worried about paying bills, facing financial losses or not getting a paycheck because you can't work, if you could have long term injuries, or the insurance company isn't responding to you/your needs.

Last week I was in my third rear end accident this year so I have some recent experience with insurance companies.

If you haven't already call your insurance people. My insurance people have been very good about getting the car fixed and making that process very simple and without cost to me.

That said, they always try to get me to initially pay my deductible. I point out that I'm the victim and am not going to be out of pocket when the other guy is at fault. Then they "waive" the deductible, and my car gets fixed.

My insurance company has not been much use in getting medical bills paid. I've dealt directly with the other insurance companies on that. One was fantastic and easy to work with; another one has been making it difficult so I'm going with a lawyer for them.

Which takes us back to why you may want to talk to a lawyer.

I hope you heal up quickly and completely.

mhtruck

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305557 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/13/2012 12:29 PM
Recommendations: 3
Broken sternum? YIKES!

I wouldn't worry about paying the medical bills right now. Once the hospital bills you, you have at least 30 days in my experience. (2011 gave me a LOT of experience with hospital billing, unfortunately!)

If you contact them and let them know it was a car accident and the other person's auto insurance is involved in paying the bills, they are generally willing to work with you/wait for payment. You don't need to do anything today. Just focus on getting better so you can go back to work.

Author: 401kinvestor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305558 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/13/2012 3:27 PM
Got the ok to go back to work from my primary physican for Monday. I slept on the couch because I can't bend back on my bed and get up. Seriously I need to pay off credit cards bad.

Its not going to be fun going back to work. I have a dr note so I can't lift 25 lbs it would hurt me.

I'm staying home this weekend. The best thing for me is rest if I can.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305559 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/13/2012 4:34 PM
Got the ok to go back to work from my primary physican for Monday. I slept on the couch because I can't bend back on my bed and get up. Seriously I need to pay off credit cards bad.

Its not going to be fun going back to work. I have a dr note so I can't lift 25 lbs it would hurt me.

Ugh. That sounds awful. When I had my shoulder surgery last year I was out of work for two months, and even then I didn't have much use of the arm. I was lucky; my company has a very generous Short-Term Disability plan. They kept paying my salary and the insurance people reimbursed them. Most plan aren't that generous.

Hope you feel better soon, but I know that after a serious accident sometimes you keep feeling worse before you start feeling better.

Take care.

Nancy

Author: 401kinvestor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305561 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/13/2012 6:58 PM
Thanks for wishing me to get better. I'm been playing BUMP'M on my computer and then I press the frown button on Roswell the alien.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305563 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/13/2012 9:33 PM
Recommendations: 5
I guess I don't understand why you are out of pocket for anything. I thought your insurance was supposed to cover your repair and recovery bills and then get repayment from the other driver's insurance.

Fuskie
Who doesn't think an insurance company that makes him do it's paperwork when he is the damaged party is worth his premiums...

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305617 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 7/17/2012 5:56 PM
I had to give a "deposit" of $300 when I went to the ER for what we thought might be a bad appendix (turned out to be the gall bladder), even though I had paid my deductible for the year, and my ER copay is only $100.

But it sounds like it's not 401k's insurance, but the driver that hit him? I hope the other person had at least a bit more than the state minimum.

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305732 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 8/14/2012 4:30 PM
401kinvestor, I'm so sorry you were in an accident! I hope you are doing okay. I know I'm late to respond to this thread, but I wanted to express my sympathy for your pain and difficulty.

--Booa

Author: cbrown24 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305773 of 308519
Subject: Re: NOT GOOD AT ALL NO LAUGHING AT ALL ALLOWED Date: 8/22/2012 12:31 AM
Totally agree!

Get a lawyer pronto to represent your interests. You will need a settlement from wages lost, etc.

C. Brown

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement