Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Not Impressed Date: 2/25/2005 3:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
There is this new little yarn store in Brookline Village, MA called 'A Good Yarn'. The people are nice, the selection is good and the layout and displays are nice to look at. Their hours are little funky, but all yarn stores have odd hours, so I'm used to this.

About a month ago I purchased a few balls of Mielenweit superwash wool with an eye toward learning how to knit socks. Last weekend I started on the cuff of the first sock. Two rounds into it, I found a spot where the yarn was frayed and almost breaking. So, I cut it and restarted the yarn a few yards down the strand. I knit another three rounds and come accross another severely frayed and splitting spot. Again, I cut the yarn and restart. One round later, I find another frayed spot. At this point, I was so frustrated that I just yanked out my needles and threw the yarn into a bag. I was thinking that I'd just start on a new ball....after all, I'd bought 4. So, I start over on a brand new ball. And the same thing happens. At that point, I started unwinding the ball and inspecting the wool. Approximately every few yards, the yarn was fraying. And as I unwound further, there were bits of what look to be wood or twig in the yarn.

I called the store and spoke to one of the sales staff who stated that she would have to talk to the manager. The manager called me back about an hour later and seemed very unhappy about saying I should bring the yarn in. But, I brought it in. He inspected it himself and just kept repeating that he'd never seen flaws like these ever before with any yarn and he can't understand it. He seemed really skeptical that it was in that condition when I purchased it and even asked how I stored the yarn at home. He did allow an exchange on the yarn, but since they didn't have the Meilenweit left, I picked up Opal superwash wool in different colors.

While they did allow for the exchange, I'm really unhappy about the service. I felt like he didn't believe me and thought that I was trying to scam them. Then, he had the chutzpah to tell me that the reason he was hesitating is because they can't send the yarn back to the manufacturer. I told him that it wasn't particularly my problem and that if the store wasn't going to stand by their product, I was not going to spend my money there. A few other customers that were in line behind me heard me, too.

This is about the third time I've heard comments from them that displayed their unwillingness to do things that will not quickly or easily turn them a profit. A few months ago I asked them to order 3 skeins of a cotton sport weight that they already carried, but in a color that they were sold out of and they refused because the bag contains 10 and then they'd have to deal with the other 7. Um.....huh? They already carried the yarn, they used to have the color....but they won't order more and sell me 30% of the new order immediately?

I'm not going back there. There are too many other great stores to deal with the foolishness.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement