Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Not Impressed Date: 2/25/2005 3:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
There is this new little yarn store in Brookline Village, MA called 'A Good Yarn'. The people are nice, the selection is good and the layout and displays are nice to look at. Their hours are little funky, but all yarn stores have odd hours, so I'm used to this.

About a month ago I purchased a few balls of Mielenweit superwash wool with an eye toward learning how to knit socks. Last weekend I started on the cuff of the first sock. Two rounds into it, I found a spot where the yarn was frayed and almost breaking. So, I cut it and restarted the yarn a few yards down the strand. I knit another three rounds and come accross another severely frayed and splitting spot. Again, I cut the yarn and restart. One round later, I find another frayed spot. At this point, I was so frustrated that I just yanked out my needles and threw the yarn into a bag. I was thinking that I'd just start on a new ball....after all, I'd bought 4. So, I start over on a brand new ball. And the same thing happens. At that point, I started unwinding the ball and inspecting the wool. Approximately every few yards, the yarn was fraying. And as I unwound further, there were bits of what look to be wood or twig in the yarn.

I called the store and spoke to one of the sales staff who stated that she would have to talk to the manager. The manager called me back about an hour later and seemed very unhappy about saying I should bring the yarn in. But, I brought it in. He inspected it himself and just kept repeating that he'd never seen flaws like these ever before with any yarn and he can't understand it. He seemed really skeptical that it was in that condition when I purchased it and even asked how I stored the yarn at home. He did allow an exchange on the yarn, but since they didn't have the Meilenweit left, I picked up Opal superwash wool in different colors.

While they did allow for the exchange, I'm really unhappy about the service. I felt like he didn't believe me and thought that I was trying to scam them. Then, he had the chutzpah to tell me that the reason he was hesitating is because they can't send the yarn back to the manufacturer. I told him that it wasn't particularly my problem and that if the store wasn't going to stand by their product, I was not going to spend my money there. A few other customers that were in line behind me heard me, too.

This is about the third time I've heard comments from them that displayed their unwillingness to do things that will not quickly or easily turn them a profit. A few months ago I asked them to order 3 skeins of a cotton sport weight that they already carried, but in a color that they were sold out of and they refused because the bag contains 10 and then they'd have to deal with the other 7. Um.....huh? They already carried the yarn, they used to have the color....but they won't order more and sell me 30% of the new order immediately?

I'm not going back there. There are too many other great stores to deal with the foolishness.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: bcfrench Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4303 of 7313
Subject: Re: Not Impressed Date: 2/25/2005 4:52 PM
Recommendations: 5
That's definitely a small business that has not learned that keeping a customer is much more important than a ball of yarn.

I'm not saying that every customer is worth it, or every customer is always right. I've run my own business for eleven years and I can tell you from personal experience that there are some customers who are not worth keeping. But this is NOT the case here.

An imperfect product, just like any broken object, can be written off as a business loss.

I can understand not wanting to buy, say, a lot of 10 cars to get one that a person needs, but this is yarn. Especially in today's age of online stores, bricks shops need to be as willing, if not more so, to do special orders, within reason of course.

Also, a store owner in a niche market should realize that people in his niche talk to one another. They belong to clubs. They meet together. They talk on the Internet. Recommendations for or against such establishments bear enormous weight among close-knit (pardon the pun) groups such as crafters.

He's not going to stay in business with that attitude.

...Barb

Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4305 of 7313
Subject: Re: Not Impressed Date: 2/27/2005 10:49 AM
Recommendations: 0

Also, a store owner in a niche market should realize that people in his niche talk to one another. They belong to clubs. They meet together. They talk on the Internet. Recommendations for or against such establishments bear enormous weight among close-knit (pardon the pun) groups such as crafters.

I'm a small business owner, too, though I sell services rather than products. I've worked in various aspects of the retail and service industries for the better part of ten years. There is not a single company that would have allowed me to do what they have done. Additionally, the store is in a very high income area...the town of Brookline (and Brookline Village in particular) are very affluent...as in, the houses haven't drpped below $500k in over 15 years and these days are generally in the area of $1 mil. It's also a high-foot-traffic area (great for a yarn or craft store) near public transportation, an Orthodox Jewish temple, and two public schools (all very good potential markets).

An imperfect product, just like any broken object, can be written off as a business loss.

Well....see...here's the thing: I had a friend that owned a yarn store (incidently in the same neighborhood as this one) years ago. She closed it because of child care issues and a concern for the quality of the life of her children, but as I recall, she routinely sent damaged product back to the manufacturer. In fact, she told me it was the only time that manufacturers would take yarn back. Otherwise, it's all final sale. And in the case of damaged product, the manufacturer replaces it. So in addition to the manager trying to make the store's cost of doing business my cost for them doing business, he also (possibly) lied to me.

The thing that I really don't get is why they wouldn't be concerned that it was on more than 1 skein. It waas on the two that inspected out of the 4 that I purchased. That would indicate that the shipment was likely damaged, not the particular skein. Additionally, when dealing with wool, when things start to fray and fall apart like that, it's not such a bad idea to look around for a pest problem. I had improperly stored a project last year and lost four afgan quares to mice. (Yuck!)

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4306 of 7313
Subject: Re: Not Impressed Date: 2/27/2005 12:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
And in the case of damaged product, the manufacturer replaces it. So in addition to the manager trying to make the store's cost of doing business my cost for them doing business, he also (possibly) lied to me.

Yeah, I was surprised too when he said he couldn't send it back - if it were me, I'd be on the phone with the manufacturer toot sweet letting them know they sent damaged goods.

You'd think they'd be more interested in returning customers, wouldn't you?

Cindy

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4307 of 7313
Subject: Re: Not Impressed Date: 2/27/2005 3:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
The thing that I really don't get is why they wouldn't be concerned that it was on more than 1 skein. It waas on the two that inspected out of the 4 that I purchased. That would indicate that the shipment was likely damaged, not the particular skein. Additionally, when dealing with wool, when things start to fray and fall apart like that, it's not such a bad idea to look around for a pest problem. I had improperly stored a project last year and lost four afgan quares to mice. (Yuck!)

I think you probably just hit the nail on the head. He probably didn't store the yarn properly and knew the manufacturer would notice that, and refuse to take it back.

Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4308 of 7313
Subject: Re: Not Impressed Date: 2/28/2005 7:11 AM
Recommendations: 4
How about getting onto the manufacturer yourself, stating when and where you bought the yarn (and how much) and that since the store refused to take it back, you wanted to alert them directly to potential problems.

You may or may not get a refund. They may offer to replace your yarn. You may even get some free vouchers. However, what you will definitely get is the satisfaction that that retailer will now have a question mark against their name.

- Pam (after revenge)

Author: bcfrench Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4310 of 7313
Subject: Re: Not Impressed Date: 2/28/2005 11:14 AM
Recommendations: 0
It's beyond yarn here. This is about attitude toward his customers.

...Barb

Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4311 of 7313
Subject: Re: Not Impressed Date: 2/28/2005 11:37 AM
Recommendations: 2
It's beyond yarn here. This is about attitude toward his customers

True. But if we can use it ruin his relationship with his supplier OR to get him placed under pressure by his supplier, then so be it. There is more than one way to teach him that customer service is king.

- Pam (if that's B*tchy and vindictive, I'm sorry)

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4312 of 7313
Subject: Re: Not Impressed Date: 2/28/2005 12:43 PM
True. But if we can use it ruin his relationship with his supplier OR to get him placed under pressure by his supplier, then so be it. There is more than one way to teach him that customer service is king.

- Pam (if that's B*tchy and vindictive, I'm sorry)

It is and I agree with it. I've been told I will not only hang onto a grudge until it dies, I will the have it stuffed and mounted.
Kathleen
(giving new meaning to "he77 hath no fury")

Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4318 of 7313
Subject: Re: Not Impressed Date: 3/1/2005 3:49 AM
I've been told I will not only hang onto a grudge until it dies, I will the have it stuffed and mounted.

Kathleen, I love that phrase! It should be immortalized.

- Pam (saved it to my quotable quotes)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement