Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5056  
Subject: not minding my own business... Date: 6/6/2007 6:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
1 was walking in central park the other day, near the boat basin.....
the boat basin is a large pool where people all kinds of toy boats...
sailboats, remote controlled submarines, whatever. the area is crowded
with kids, dogs, moms, nannies, strollers, and the pool is populated
with a few families of ducks and ducklings........

as i was strolling by, i came upon 2 little boys throwing stones at the
ducks. i was very angry and i yelled at the boys (probably around 6 or
7 years old) "STOP THAT!!! WHY DO YOU WANT TO FRIGHTEN THEM!!!"
a man, (their father?) said, "it's none of your business, lady" and
rather than get into an argument w the guy i walked (slinked?) away.

then i was angry....at myself for not defending my point? at the guy
for championing bad behavior? maybe both....but the incident has stayed
with me and troubled me for a few days....

where did i go wrong? should i have just ignored what the boys were
doing and walked on? should i have argued the point with the guy who
was probably their father?

i feel myself turning into one of those demented old ladies who goes
around yelling at everyone....

what do you think, folks,,,,,,,,,,,

sasha
Print the post Back To Top
Author: oncqueen Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1496 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/6/2007 8:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
RE: "where did i go wrong? should i have just ignored what the boys were

around yelling at everyone...."

You don't seem demented to me! A demented person would miss more than only B's in their typing!

I think speaking up was the right thing. I'd have probably asked the adult, "Gosh, aren't you afraid they will hurt the ducks?" rather than yelling at the kids. He probably was rude to you because you yelled at his kids, and also because he was embarassed that he was letting them go wild. Of course, the kind that lets their kids run wild in the first place is the kind that probably wouldn't take it well no matter how nicely you spoke to him....

I'm disturbed because it's just mean, but also there is a correlation between cruelty to animals and becoming a sociopath later. But then again, I'm the kind who lets MOLES ravage her yard undisturbed, ruining the neighborhood...

Author: Levka98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1497 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/6/2007 8:13 PM
You should've called the police on the cell phone and explained what happened.

Regards,

Levka.

Author: Levka98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1498 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/6/2007 8:17 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'm disturbed because it's just mean, but also there is a correlation between cruelty to animals and becoming a sociopath later. But then again, I'm the kind who lets MOLES ravage her yard undisturbed, ruining the neighborhood...

It bothers me too. He's setting a bad example for his children, and I wonder goes on when they're in the privacy of his home.

I called the fire department once to rescue a canary in a tree for a little boy that accidentally let it loose. They were sure happy to answer that call, NOT. The bird took off and the kid got in trouble with his parents anyway. I tried.

Regards,

Levka.

Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1499 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/6/2007 9:14 PM
re: calling the police.......
levka: that's a thought...NYPD is great but i feel they would sya
something to the effect of, "ladee, PLEEZE, we're busy catching
muggers and murderers and people who double park..."

Author: PineyLevel Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1500 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/6/2007 9:19 PM
You were 100% right to intervene.

It's hard to tell if you were 100% right or not in the way you did it. I'd have probably adopted the manner of a nice but firm kindergarten teacher and said "Sweetie, you can't do that. It's against the rules and you need to stop that right this minute, because you might hurt the ducks. You can't do that." I'm assuming these kids were under 10 years old. But, that's just me, and everyone has their own style.

The main thing is you were SO right to do something, that's what's important.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1501 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/6/2007 11:20 PM
where did i go wrong? should i have just ignored what the boys were

around yelling at everyone....
You were right to say something. That guy was out of line, and yes, it WAS your business! Speaking up about cruelty is always OK in my book. And, no, there's no way you'll be that old lady. You will be the powerful old lady who is not afraid to speak her truth.

Love
Loving

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1502 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/6/2007 11:22 PM
But then again, I'm the kind who lets MOLES ravage her yard undisturbed, ruining the neighborhood...
Thanks for reminding me why I like you so much! <grin>

Love
Loving

Author: PineyLevel Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1503 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/7/2007 7:06 AM
You were right to say something. That guy was out of line, and yes, it WAS your business! Speaking up about cruelty is always OK in my book. And, no, there's no way you'll be that old lady. You will be the powerful old lady who is not afraid to speak her truth.

Love
Loving
Piney

exactly what I was trying to say!

Author: joeyboxadonuts Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1504 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/7/2007 9:03 AM
Recommendations: 6
Next time consider shoving the kids into the basin and then throwing stones at them.

joey

Author: PineyLevel Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1505 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/7/2007 10:25 AM
Next time consider shoving the kids into the basin and then throwing stones at them.
joey

---

sweetie, you're not allowed to do that.

Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1506 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/7/2007 11:40 AM
you kids are right.......i was right but handled it wrong...
i just lost it....and, at that moment, i wasnt aware which adult belonged to them......i suppose i could have asked, but i just had a total knee jerk...
MAYBE (hopefully) if i had noticed the guy i would have said something
to HIM..but i'm not sure.....

Author: mapletree8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1507 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/7/2007 12:24 PM

Calling the police would be an overreaction, unless the situation escalated - i.e., the man threatened you, or the ducks were being injured.

Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1508 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/7/2007 3:19 PM
well, in thinking about this more, i probably didnt yell as in scream
.......that's not my style. but i certainly spoke very sharply to the
little darlings......

Author: PineyLevel Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1509 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/7/2007 3:20 PM
Have you been back to see how the ducks are doing?

Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1510 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/7/2007 3:34 PM
lol.........wouldnt know one duck from another. ... the one in my
tub is yellow. ..these werent........

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1511 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/7/2007 9:24 PM
Recommendations: 4
joey

Wrong. Throw the Dad into the pond and throw rocks at him.

jC ☺

Author: Levka98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1512 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/8/2007 7:42 AM

Could be, but it would call attention to the situation. Maybe the police don't like people throwing rocks at the ducks in their district? People have been arrested for cruelty to animals, and this sure seemed cruel. Threaten to call PETA, lol.

It hurts my heart when I witness cruelty to animals or children. I've actually chased kids who bullied the squirt, stopped the car and got out, etc. I know it's rash, but I can't help myself.

Regards,

Levka.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1513 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/8/2007 8:04 AM
It hurts my heart when I witness cruelty to animals or children. I've actually chased kids who bullied the squirt, stopped the car and got out, etc. I know it's rash, but I can't help myself.
We need more people like you in the world, Levka and Sasha! Not afraid to speak up.

Maybe if more adults paid attention and stepped in when they see bullying, the bullies would fade away.

Love
Loving

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1519 of 5056
Subject: Re: not minding my own business... Date: 6/11/2007 5:03 PM
<<Maybe if more adults paid attention and stepped in when they see bullying, the bullies would fade away.>>

Excellent point, Loving!

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement