Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Not only are you wrong to assume that you can deduct these expenses, you may have a bigger problem. It is very likely that New York State and New York City will consider you as a resident and subject to resident income tax rates.

Both NYS and NYC are very tenacious about taxing anything that comes close to resident status. There is a question on the non-resident return that asks if you maintain living quarters in the state/city.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.