Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58949  
Subject: Not quite OT: Martin Rees Date: 3/8/2013 3:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
Martin Rees, the Astronomer Royal of Great Britain (1995-present) and President of the Royal Society (2005-10) has long been a particular hero of mine. Unfortunately I have never met him, though he is a friend of many of my friends among British mathematicians, whom I got to know while on sabbatical at the Maths Institute at the University of Warwick.

This week Martin Rees has an editorial in Science, on the subject of risk. Here are three snippets:

Those fortunate enough to live in the developed world fret too much about minor hazards of everyday life... The main threats to sustained human existence now come from people, not from nature. Ecological shocks that irreversibly degrade the biosphere could be triggered by the unsustainable demands of a growing world population. Fast-spreading pandemics would cause havoc in the megacities of the developing world... Equally worrying are the imponderable downsides of powerful new cyber-, bio-, and nanotechnologies. Indeed, we're entering an era when a few individuals could, via error or terror, trigger societal breakdown...

Our interconnected world depends on elaborate networks: electric power grids, air traffic control, international finance, just-in-time delivery, and so forth. Unless these are highly resilient, their manifest benefits could be outweighed by catastrophic (albeit rare) breakdowns cascading through the system...

Some would dismiss such concerns as an exaggerated jeremiad: After all, societies have survived for millennia, despite storms, earthquakes, and pestilence. But these human-induced threats are different -- they are newly emergent, so we have a limited time base for exposure to them and cannot be so sanguine that we would survive them for long, or that governments could cope if disaster strikes... It is hard to quantify the potential "existential" threats from (for instance) bio- or cybertechnology, from artificial intelligence, or from runaway climatic catastrophes. But we should at least start figuring out what can be left in the sci-fi bin (for now) and what has moved beyond the imaginary.

Amen to that. I truly believe that our survival as a sapient life-form depends upon improving our ability to evaluate and adapt to exotic and previously unknown risks. (Yes, I am intentionally avoiding the word "species" -- I seriously doubt that the species homo sapiens will survive the coming storms of genetic engineering intact.)

All the risks mentioned by Rees are ones that have been discussed repeatedly in the Boulder Futures Group. Based on these discussions, I would rate them very roughly as follows:

Growing population: rapidly diminishing as a threat.
Fast-spreading pandemic: small but nasty threat.
Nanotech infection: still too difficult to evaluate.
Regional nuclear war: high probability, but not TEOTWAWKI.
Catastrophic grid failure: small and diminishing.
Uncontrolled synthetic biology: not a significant threat.
Peak oil: not now a threat, and never was a threat.
Asteroid impact: near certainty over the very long term.
Climate change: near certainty over the next century.

LC
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement