No. of Recommendations: 0
Not quite. To get to a Roth IRA from a 401k without paying penalities you have to do things right.
First you move the 401k to a traditional IRA.
Then you move the IRA to a Roth. You must pay taxes on the amount moved, but no penalties as long as everything is custodian-to-custodian transfer. You can pay the taxes from outside the IRA, so that helps
you maximize your retirement accounts.
If your Roth is with a discount broker, you have a myriad of stocks you can invest in. This is likely to have much greater growth potential than the choices offered by your 401k custodian.
Just be sure you arrange custodian to custodian and don't get your hands on the money, or it is a premature distribution, you'd have to pay 10% penalty. Further, you are only allowed to contribute $2000 a year to an IRA, whether traditional or Roth; to put more in, you have to do the rollover.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.