Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Not really sure how the tax laws would apply, but see how this might fit in for your situation. As a US citizen, you are exempt from taxes on a certain amount of foreign income (up to $80 thousand I believe). One choice would be to open the fund specifically in the child's name. Possibly investing in higher dividend paying stocks. Then each year file a tax return for the child. I know even with my earned income exemption, the dividends I have earned over the past 4 years haven't been hit by any kind of taxes based on whatever my accountant does. Maybe it would work the same. Either that or my accountant is doing something illegal.

fool on~

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.