UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lilchores Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76422  
Subject: not typical, thus confusing Date: 8/20/1999 9:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My income varies ...I'm self employed, hubby is salaried. He saves in a 401k (the max) and I in a Keogh (the max). We have stocks outside these plans, and some paid-off real estate. (I'll spare y'all the details)

Where can I go, to whom might I speak, to get an opinion about whether I have a good retirement plan with this array of resources?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13285 of 76422
Subject: Re: not typical, thus confusing Date: 8/20/1999 9:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
The best professional would be a financial planner or a CPA specializing in retirement planning. You would like to find one that works for a fee and is not interested in selling you anything (like mutual funds).
(You might want to ask some questions about estate planning at the same time.)

Recommendations from friends or family could be the best way to find one, but if you do a search, you will find several postings on how to find a good financial planner.

Best of luck to you.

Author: WilliamLipp Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13288 of 76422
Subject: Re: not typical, thus confusing Date: 8/20/1999 11:04 AM
lilchores Date: 8/20/99 9:09 AM Number: 13278
My income varies ...I'm self employed, hubby is salaried. He saves in a 401k (the max) and I in a Keogh (the max).

I'm also self employed with a varying income and a Keogh Plan. For some years I thought "the max" was the nominal 15% (real 13+%) that you can contribute to a Keogh Profit Sharing Plan. Eventually I learned that you can add a Keogh Money Purchase Plan for an additional 10%, bringing the total contribution to a nominal 25% (real 20%). I mention this in case you or some other reader hasn't yet discovered this. The new Keogh needs to be established before the end of the year.

Where can I go, to whom might I speak, to get an opinion about whether I have a good retirement plan with this array of resources?

As Fools, we do a lot of this for ourselves. You need some idea of retirement income you will want and a plan for generating that income from your investments. Back posts here and on The Retire Early Home Page board are good places to start.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement