Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Notably absent from the list: Berkshire Hathaway.

So what do we make of that??

Not too long ago, Mungofitch teased us with a discussion about Berkshire's low ROE, but never gave an "answer" as to why.

In light of this thread, does anyone want to try to reconcile the fact that while Berkshire certainly seems to be productive in generating substantial value year in and year out, it has a mediocre ROE?

As to the mechanical screening thing, I've been entrigued many times, but just can't bring myself to commit worthwhile amounts to such a "blind" approach.

But a more do-able approach for me is to use some general characteristic (such as the long-term ROE here) to define a small universe of likely-good prospects, and then within that universe, use the usual-suspects to pick what I hope is the cream of that crop.

One could do a lot worse than sticking to the businesses listed above as one's investing "universe". Except that Berkshire is missing...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement