No. of Recommendations: 0
Note that when you sell the stock, the loss can be used to reduce your income taxes in two ways. First, it reduces your other capital gains profits for the same tax year, or if the difference is a net loss, up to $3K per year can be deducted from your other income.

If your net loss exceeds $3K, the remainder can be carried over to future tax years and written off against future gains or current income at the rate of $3K per year until depleted.

The worst of this is the paperwork to make sure you claim the capital loss carry over.

And note in some circumstances, if capital gains rates go up next year as some expect, the loss could be worth more next year in some situations.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.